Realistic specs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Realistic specs

Post by CeaSaR »

Here's a stretch - does anyone have the specs on a Realistic Clarinette 16? Only thing I've been able to find is the listing in the RS catalog, starting at 1986. ( http://pdf.textfiles.com/catalogs/RADIOSHACK/ )
My youngest picked one up at the GoodWill and I'm curious as to just how much above a table radio it is.

** select the 1986 catalog and look on page 55 **
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Re: Realistic specs

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hail CeaSar!

Are you sure you have the right model in your post?
I've looked up several of the Realistic Clarinette Series, and the early numbered units are only Kid's amplified record players. :???:

If this has any of these features:
10 Watt Amplifier
AM/FM Radio
Cassette Tape Deck
8-Track
Turntable

It has to be one of the Clarinette 40's or later.
Look on the back of the unit for a model number.
Post it here, and maybe I, or someone else can find the Specs.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Nope, it's the 16. If you go to the link I provided and click on the 1986 catalog, then go to page 55, you'll see it - "New for '86!"
AM/FM/Stereo Cassette/Phonograph with a pair of 4" speakers, all for the low low price of $99.95!
It's a little fuzzy, but that's the one.

Here's an ebay pic I just found: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eUYAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg

I was just looking to see if I could find any specs before I dig into the insides to add a "line in" like she wants. I'll find out what it can do once I find the amp chip.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hmmm.................

This unit was one of the really low-end systems.
Radio Shack must not of made or sold a lot of them.
Because NOT even SAM's PhotoFacts covers it.
Thus, what you got, could be considered a rare Item.

I've worked on similar units, of different brand names.
They had, maybe 5 - 10 Watts of Amplifier Power at best.
The Speakers would only rate out about the same.
The AM/FM Tuners are as you suspect, little better than that of a clock radio.
Turntables are tire driven, just better than kiddy toy record players.
The Cassette Deck was a unit that originally came out of a Car Radio.
It had: PLAY / FAST FORWARD / and maybe RECORD.

Well, good luck with it.
One good thing about it, is that the controls should be easy to clean.

Addition:
Oh, yeah.
When you put in the "line in" inputs.
Tap off of the Cassette playback lines to the function switch{Radio/Phono/Tape}.

Edit:
I looked at the pictures again.
Am I seeing this right, in that this only has an EJECT Button on the Cassette Player?
:?

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Yep, FF/Eject. I don't really expect much more than 3-5 watts. It only came with 1 of the speakers, and it is still in "Quarantine". Don't expect to get to it until maybe this weekend. Gotta get some cleaner for the pots. Hopefully the amp chip will be marked and I can get a datasheet for it. Either way, a better set of speakers will go a long way toward better sound. That, and maybe a bigger output cap, if one is used. Depends on the chip.

Yes, the Tape tap is my choice for another input. Thinking of putting a DPDT selector on the back to choose between the tape and "Other".
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:33 pm Yep, FF/Eject. I don't really expect much more than 3-5 watts. It only came with 1 of the speakers, and it is still in "Quarantine". Don't expect to get to it until maybe this weekend. Gotta get some cleaner for the pots. Hopefully the amp chip will be marked and I can get a datasheet for it. Either way, a better set of speakers will go a long way toward better sound. That, and maybe a bigger output cap, if one is used. Depends on the chip.

Yes, the Tape tap is my choice for another input. Thinking of putting a DPDT selector on the back to choose between the tape and "Other".
Cool. :cool:
If you can.
Plug it in to a Isolated Variable AC Output Supply {Variac Transformer}.
Turn on the Clarinette 16, turn the Volume all the way down.
Set the Function Switches to Radio, FM Stereo.
Plug in a set of Stereo Headphones in to the Headphone Jack.
Now on the Variac, turn the voltage knob down to Zero.
Now turn on the power to the Variac, and slowly bring the power up to 110 - 120VAC.
If nothing started smoking by the time you made it to the standard AC Line Voltage.
Try tuning in a FM Stereo Station, and listen to it through the Headphones.
Check that you have both L & R Channels.
If one channel seems weaker than the other.
Try turning the Balance Control Knob back and forth, the Volume Control Knob. or even the Function Control Knob.
If that causes the volume to increase somewhat, then the Pot's and Switches probably just need cleaning.

If it only has the one channel that is working.
Do not assume that it has a Audio Output IC.
Many of these still used Discrete Transistors Amplifier Circuits.
{Because AUDIO Output IC's were more expensive than Transistors, at that time.}
Thus, you'll need to trouble shoot the Circuit, and hope you can still get the components to repair it. :???:

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

It was already plugged in at Goodwill. Noise from the speaker on each channel on FM - had some blanking spots near appropriate stations - standard check when considering anything from that store. And it's a left and right individual volume control - no balance. Tone works. Volume pots def. need cleaning, but not that bad. We'll see when I open it up, should be a real adventure. My guess is small boards. Even if certain components aren't readily available, I'm fairly sure I can figure out a decent way to replace whatever it is that may go wrong.
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Speaking of cleaning pots, etc., has anyone used the WD-40 contact cleaner spray? https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/
I picked some up at a local Home Depot, and I'll be checking it out in a day or so when I can get to the little 16. It was either that or CRC contact cleaner. No Deoxit or even RCA brand there. I'd still be using my can of RS Color TV Tuner Cleaner if someone hadn't broken the nozzle off the top...
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Noise from the speaker on each channel on FM - had some blanking spots near appropriate stations
Sounds like the Tuning Capacitor has gotten dust or dirt in it.
Take some of the Contact Cleaner, or Isopropyl Alcohol and rinse it though the Tuning Capacitor.
Turn the Tuning Knob back and forth while your rinsing out the Tuning Capacitor.
Then let the Tuning Capacitor dry out, before you try testing the radio again.
NOTE:
{DO NOT USE CONTACT CLEANERS THAT HAVE LUBRICANTS IN THEM ON THE TUNING CAPACITOR!}
These can leave a greasy film on the plates in the Tuning Capacitor, and change its capacitance value.
Thus, this will throw off the adjustment setting in the Tuning Capacitor.
CeaSaR wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:52 pm Speaking of cleaning pots, etc., has anyone used the WD-40 contact cleaner spray? https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/
I picked some up at a local Home Depot, and I'll be checking it out in a day or so when I can get to the little 16. It was either that or CRC contact cleaner. No Deoxit or even RCA brand there. I'd still be using my can of RS Color TV Tuner Cleaner if someone hadn't broken the nozzle off the top...
I've not used the WD40, just the CRC Contact Cleaner, Chemtronics Contract Cleaner, Deoxit, and yes even RS Color TV Tuner Cleaner.
I would think the WD40 contact cleaner should work just fine for the Switches and Pot's.

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

WD40 is a mixture of solvent and oil. while the solvent might work, it will leave lots of oil behind way worse than the lubricated contact cleaner.

Isopropyl alcohol, the 90% stuff from the hardware store, not 70% rubbing alcohol which also may contain oil.

Whatever you do, don't ultrasonic or the mica plates can crack and the part is done for. That 80s player is still 70s tech here and there.

Did it have a tape player, getting those to work again when the rubber and belts are oxidized can be difficult. The record player probably only needs a new cartridge or needle.

your youngest must be pretty old, most kids prefer a bluetooth speaker and a cell phone (ha ha)
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

haklesup,

The WD40 is their Contact Cleaner, not the standard rust inhibitor / lubricant. You can check it out via the link above.

I don't have an ultrasonic, so no worries there. Just need to check some of the stuff out and clean it up somewhat. Yeah, it is an AM FM Tape Phono unit. Tape is an Automotive play only slot load, and the Phono is a 33/45 probably idler wheel. I left links on it above, at least to what I could find (which was VERY little).

Youngest (22 atm) likes lots of retro stuff, but does have mobile phone, Bluetooth (lotsa stuff!), but thought it was a "cute" little unit. Wants me to put an Aux input for computer / bluetooth / media player in there because it is small and wants to use it near the computer desk. Kids'll be kids. :D

I got both of them interested in fixing old stuff and trying to figure out how to modify things to suit their purposes. Makes me happy.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:53 pm Youngest (22 atm) likes lots of retro stuff, but does have mobile phone, Bluetooth (lotsa stuff!), but thought it was a "cute" little unit. Wants me to put an Aux input for computer / bluetooth / media player in there because it is small and wants to use it near the computer desk. Kids'll be kids. :D
Hmmm........

I've had some issues connecting a few computer's to Audio Amplifiers.
Or more like connecting Turntables, Tape Decks, or Home Audio CD/DVD Players to the Audio Input Lines on the computers.
For recording music to MP3 files, on to the computers Hard Drive.
{Basically a grounding loop problem causing a 60Hz Hum.}

Hopefully you won't need to make a audio line isolation circuit. :P

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Janitor Tzap wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:11 am Hmmm........

I've had some issues connecting a few computer's to Audio Amplifiers.
Or more like connecting Turntables, Tape Decks, or Home Audio CD/DVD Players to the Audio Input Lines on the computers.
For recording music to MP3 files, on to the computers Hard Drive.
{Basically a grounding loop problem causing a 60Hz Hum.}

Hopefully you won't need to make a audio line isolation circuit. :P

This, we shall see. I was hoping to get to it tomorrow, but you know how the other half always has other plans... :mrgreen:
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Whee Doggies! I got to do something today. Did a write up at https://toidsdiyaudio.com/community/rec ... #post-4943
I was contemplating doing a video, but I just don't have the setup yet.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Nice. :)

Only I wish you had better pic's of the front controls.
Plus, more pic's of the Tape mech, and Phonograph.

I hope you checked the Belt on the Tape player.
{That is if your youngin has got a bunch Cassette Tapes she likes to listen too.} :lol:
Belts will stretch, and start to slip as the rubber ages.
So, clean the Belt, Pulleys, Pinch Roller, Capstan, and Audio Head with Isopropyl alcohol.

In the one picture of the Bottom view of the Unit.
I can see a DC Motor for the Turntable.
Did you pull off the Platter and see if it is a Idler Tire, or a Belt driven Turntable?
Either one will need to be cleaned with some Isopropyl alcohol.
If you can....
Get some "Rubber Renew" and use it on the Belts, Idler Tire, and Pinch Roller.
Just remember to wipe off the liquid residue from the these rubber parts good.
The chemicals in "Rubber Renew" can cause some plastics to melt.

If the Belts, Pinch Roller, or Idler Tire are too far gone.
Check E-bay for replacements ones.

Also....
Is the Phono Cartridge Magnetic?
Or is it the older Ceramic Phono Cartridge?
Stylus's can be cheap, or obscenely expensive.

I still have my JVC LA-100 Turntable with an Ortofon Magnetic Cartridge.
Just the Stylus would run me $8 to $30 depending if it was Diamond, Sapphire, or some other specialty Stylus.