telephone interface

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

telephone interface

Post by moe »

Hello to the group I would like to connect the home phones to my cellular phone this would be my first choice if this would not be possible then maybe to my home wifi . I would like to get ride of the hard line phone to cut cost plus 9 out of 10 is wring numbers or sales calls.
Thanks for any help you may offer
Moe
Externet

Re: telephone interface

Post by Externet »

¿?
Do you want to originate calls on your wireless cell service provider by using the landline hardware ? , or answering calls to your cell phone by lifting the landline handset ?

Or reversed, use the landline to place and answer calls manipulating your ´smart' phone ?

Landlines telephones use audio... perhaps some circuitry can be wired to your smartphone headset jack.
Dialing from a smartphone into a landline could be more elaborated if the DTMF tones of the smartphone are present at the headset jack and injected into the landline.
Seems the simplest is just as everyone does, fire the landline provider. If you become nostalgic :
----> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=desktop+cell+ ... &ia=images
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
solar3000

Post by solar3000 »

T-mobile lets you download wifi phone app to your devices. That will let you make calls using your cell phone's account. And you can do this even if your cell phone is off and discharged.
This would be t-mobile's own app and you need a t-mobile account.

If your copper phone is verizon, you can ask verizon to transfer it to a soft-phone. that way you can use any android/iphone phone, tablet, or your windows PC or your linux PC. Or chromebook.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

want to answer a landline on a cell phone, depends on the phone company but they probably have an app you can put on a mobile device.

Want to answer your cell phone on a convenient handset at home without any POTS account. Probably won't find a good interface to a landline POTS handset standard but there are numerous bluetooth based phone handsets and speakers that can be paired with your phone for use at home. Trying to use 1950s tech with modern tech doesn't easily mesh.

Want to have multiple handsets, need to check on compatibility first, and you may be more choice limited.

Search this keyword "bluetooth retro handset " I found a bunch. The limitation is short range of Bluetooth so it may not work well in a large home.

Want to go the other direction entirely, Ask Santa for a Smart Watch this Christmas.

I'm less familiar with this tech but there are also WiFi Phone sets but they may only be compatible with IP VOIP systems.

Everything else I saw needed some kind of Hub and subscription to a VOIP provider, you can probably forward your cell calls to a VOIP number but that does not seem to be what you are after. I think "The magic Jack" has a free year of a VOIP number and was the lowest cost option. Worth a look perhaps

POTS: Plain Old Telephone Systems