My Toshiba is dying help...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Re: My Toshiba is dying help...

Post by Externet »

dacflyer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 am Could i take my HDD out and have it scanned on another computer ? even tho my AV says it's clean ?
I believe you can as a secondary drive, not booting from it. Windows does not like to boot in a planet where it was not installed. But am not an expert...
Someone else will confirm or knows a trick.

Before surgery, try to direct a flow or air conditioner to the sucking vent under the laptop, to see if runs much longer to confirm the issue is heat related.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If nothing is really failing, than an SSD swap alone will generally speed up most computers. If you are running Win 10, then try resetting from the recovery tab in settings, this usually replaces any corrupted system files and reformats the memory map. If Win 7, try reinstalling windows by another means then running latest updates to the end. If these 2 don't speed it up, then there possibly is a hardware defect behind it. Check BOIS for temperature sensors and try changing BIOS settings like memory speed if it lets you. The bridge chips also needs a lot of cooling, not just the CPU.

Ransomware won't waste time slowing your computer. it will simply lock it and demand bitcoin to unencrypt it. Spyware can expose itself by slowing a PC but your scanner should have found that. The email that says its filming you is a spoof and if you don't have a camera on your PC then can't be true. If they did, they would send you a screen shot to scare you and they have not, right?

Try booting into safe mode with drivers disabled, Corrupted drivers or failed hardware that drivers run or out of date drivers are notorious for slowing down PCs. Uninstall everything you are not using and use sysedit (win7) to search for any more hidden TSR type programs. Things that scan for photos like Allshare are real hogs. MS Teams is a memory hog too. Use Task manager and sort by memory or CPU usage to see which programs are hogging resources, terminate, uninstall or update as you see fit.

Create a boot Disc or USB and change your BIOS to boot from it. You can get a super clean Windows running to compare to the OS on your HDD. That's more work than it sounds though unless you are used to making bootable discs.

Before making any changes to your PC, Create a recovery disk and update that each time you make a major change so you have a way to go backward.

Finally, if win 7, consider purchasing the update license for Win 10 and upgrading the OS after you determine the hardware is adequate.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

haklesup >> A lot of this is beyond my comprehension. I remembered an old school buddy that's in the business of working on computers.
So I'm going to get him to help me with this issue.
I did look into my task manager..there wasn't anything bogging it down.. but you could see that it was just really slow to respond to anything.

you said....The email that says its filming you is a spoof and if you don't have a camera on your PC then can't be true. If they did, they would send you a screen shot to scare you and they have not, right?
I only opened 1 email..i didn't see anything but text and links. I didn't open any others. I've only been selecting all and deleting them..

I told my buddy the story as well, and he says also that it's just a very persistent scare scam. they tell key things to scare you shitless.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I did a little more research today and i came across a handful of these scam reports, and they seem to match up almost the same way as mine..
Here's the link to the FTC ( Federal Trade Commission ) where you can read more..
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2020/ ... -blackmail
This makes me feel more at ease, but i still have to go thru a ton of password changes,, at least the ones that use the password they posted.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:46 am I did a little more research today and i came across a handful of these scam reports, and they seem to match up almost the same way as mine..
Here's the link to the FTC ( Federal Trade Commission ) where you can read more..
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2020/ ... -blackmail
This makes me feel more at ease, but i still have to go thru a ton of password changes,, at least the ones that use the password they posted.
Yeah, I know what you mean. :sad:

When I'm dealing with sites that want me to sign up, or register with them.
So that it allows me to purchase an item, or have access to info.
Thus, I need a password for each site.
I have so many now, that I have too keep a little black book with all my different ID's and passwords in it. :roll:

I hear some people say.......
Get this program that holds all your passwords for each site.
Thus, you only need to remember just one password.

But......
If someone hacks you, and gets your one password.
They will have access to all your passwords.

So, until someone comes up with a fool proof password, that can't be hacked.
I'll keep my little book of passwords, stuck in a locked desk drawer. :lol:

Thou......
Sometimes passwords can be a problem.
Example:
My Aunt inherited my Uncle's Apple Laptop, after he passed.
The drive contains historical documents that he had been working on for several years.
But, because he password protected it, she could not access the Doc's.
And since he never wrote down the password, or told it to anyone.
It still remains locked, and inaccessible.
The best she could do was make a separate ID user login account.
She could run it down to an Apple Store, and have them try cracking the password.
But she doesn't have a lot of money to be spending on it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

with so much technology these days.. why aren't eye scans or finger prints more in use ?
why couldn't you log in with such ? pay for your goods etc at stores..
is this even too easy to crack ?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Pop the drive out and hook it to another system with a drive adapter. The software application, or system, may be protected but the data files may be accessible.
It's a do no harm attempt!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Lenp wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:54 am Pop the drive out and hook it to another system with a drive adapter. The software application, or system, may be protected but the data files may be accessible.
It's a do no harm attempt!
Actually.........
Using a "Live USB Stick" is a lot easier. :D

Simply first go into the CMO Setup on the Laptop.
Go to "Boot Devices".
Enable "Boot From USB Device".
Then change the First Boot Device from HDD {C:\} to USB Port Device.
Save the set up.

Grab your Live USB Stick with an Operating System, and Virus Scanner on it.
Plug it in to a open USB Port.
Then restart the Laptop.
It will boot off the Live USB Stick, while leaving the old HDD in place.
But now you can run virus scans on the HDD, without worrying that the virus is going to be active.
{If there really is a Virus/Malware on the Old HDD}.
You can also load a System Diagnostic program on to the Live USB Stick, to check your Laptops condition.
Note: "SpeedFan" shows live reports of; Voltages, Fan Speeds, Temperatures of CPU Cores, and GPU.
Plus HDD Information.

Signed: Janitor Tzap