SRM motor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

SRM motor

Post by jwax »

Are Switched Reluctance Motors really the motor of the future?
Has anyone used them?
https://turntide.com/#
WA2RBA
gerty

Re: SRM motor

Post by gerty »

This is the first I hear of this, but then again, I've been retired for 3 years... I wonder what the pricing structure is like.. Apparently you'd be stuck using their controller, like it or not...Sounds interesting, motors and controls were a big part of what I taught...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

This seems to just be a giant version of a DC brushless motor..
they are already in use in washing machines..the front loaders with the pancake motors in the back of the drum.
It'll be nice to Be more and more of them in use,, with the computer controlled ESC you can get a ton of speed out of them as well.
Look at how well they do in the hobby world....many of the electric brushless motors are replacing the gas engines on models.
and a ton of them are in use on drones..
Bring em on I say..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

according to the website, the only applications they are selling to are HVAC, I don't think this is a universally useful solution. It may not have enough torque for other applications. It may be the wave for large building HVAC but not sure what else.