Multisim simulation error in High-pass Filter Circuit Design

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Markkim

Multisim simulation error in High-pass Filter Circuit Design

Post by Markkim »

Hi,
I have problem about high pass filter circuit design. Carry out NI Multisim according to the infinite gain multi-feedback high-pass filter circuit provided by the related analog book. The cut-off frequency is 10MHz, and the component parameters are determined according to the caculating formulas from [/url]apogeeweb dot net slash electron slash high-pass-filter-definition dot html[/url], but in the simulation, the -3dB point in the Bode plot amplitude-frequency curve is around 8.5MHz instead of 10MHz.

Is there anyone can give me some ideas to figure it out? Many thanks.
Mark
dyarker

Re: Multisim simulation error in High-pass Filter Circuit Design

Post by dyarker »

Active filter? If yes, what cutoff/rolloff of the amplifier?

(images didn't work - had to ask)
Dale Y
haklesup

Re: Multisim simulation error in High-pass Filter Circuit Design

Post by haklesup »

your image did not come through so I think part of the question is missing. I think you would get better answers from the NI MultiSim forum anyway. Assuming you are asking why does my simulation get different results than my calculation? I might guess that the math underlying the simulation was not exactly the same as the formulas you chose to make you paper calculation. The simulation may include parasitic impedances of other components or tolerance worse case or may have actual values for active components whereas your calculation was idealized. Its hard to say without making you virtually write a paper outlining all the steps. Try stepping some of the passive device parameters and seeing what you have to change to push the Bode plot along the path you want then try to understand why that worked or did not. that's just general advice.

I only have Multisim 9, then I stopped paying for updates but it still works. I don't simulate much though, I use it for schematic capture and PCB layout.