slippery screen

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Joseph

slippery screen

Post by Joseph »

My friend had a spare cell phone and gave it to me. My old cell phone was easier to use because this new one has a screen that's slippery. Holding the finger still on a spot to select something is almost impossible because the finger slips off the selected spot. Presently, I'm thinking of the possibility of rubbing down the screen with toothpaste. Anyone else have similar trouble?

Thanks.
CeaSaR

Re: slippery screen

Post by CeaSaR »

You might want to check the settings for the screen sensitivity, etc. It might be set to something like "glove mode" or the "cursor setting" may be too small or too large. If all else fails, or the settings get too far out of whack, use the "set to default" button.

I'd rather check these first instead of destroying a screen.
Hey, what do I know?
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Ok, after that suggestion I found a setting called touch and hold and am trying that out by setting it to the shortest time, 0.5s.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i wouldn't use anything abrasive on the screen, you'll destroy the touch screen sensor.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Most 'smart' phones have a glass screen, so trying to make them less slippery might be tough.
Why not just get a plastic screen saver and scuff it as needed. At least it doesn't damage the phone.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

i can try to keep an eye out for one of those plastic screen savers.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I wish some screens had a matt finish like some laptops, I hate the shinny glass, half the time it's like looking into a mirror, hard to see at times, especially if there is a light fixture is above your head. even worse if your outside.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

if it already has a screen protector, peel it off, you don't like it

If it does not have a screen protector already, I suggest one rated for hardness 9H and you can find them for just about any phone or tablet online. Alternatively they have plastic film screen protectors and they will have the most friction but are harder to apply without bubbles. There are also non glare and privacy filters you might look into.