Cheap china led strobe lights. - need advice.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Cheap china led strobe lights. - need advice.

Post by dacflyer »

I bought some of these cheap led strobes, very bright. The seals on them are not really good, but i used sealant along the outer perimeter of the lens.
Anyway. these leds have 5 wires.
2 for power, pattern change , master and slave. for syncing.. well i thought that there was a way to make them asynchronous. but there isn't.
I am thinking there has to be a way. the Master wire puts out a positive signal that matches its current flash pattern, it seems simple enough.
the master overrides the slaves..
I was thinking that some sort of synchronized delay device, but i can't think of what to use. I thought that maybe use something to invert the signal, but that wouldn't work.
anyone have any suggestions ?

when synced the leds flash the same colors ( they are White / Amber ) 1White + 2White , 1Amber + 2Amber. (1,2 = head 1, head 2 )
I am looking to make them flash 1White + 2Amber , Amber + White
dacflyer

Re: Cheap china led strobe lights. - need advice.

Post by dacflyer »

They seem to be fairly robust, except for the lousy sealant they use. the ones I have leaked, I had to put a bead of sealant around the edge. and i drilled a tiny vent hole on the bottom.
But otherwise they are very bright and sharp.
I'm sure they'd last for really long time if they were used inside the window , rather than being outside.
If I order another set, I'm going to make sure the next ones will have Asynchronous mode.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

My biggest beef with Chinese LED assemblies is they often don't bother to couple the led to the already included heat sinks. One set of tail light replacements just had the COB slotted in the aluminum heat sink but the air gap behind it made it as if there were none and they burned out quickly. Some of the ones that look like better lamps have assembly steps skipped. I had a similar failure on an LED Head lamp too, failed because assembly steps like glue were skipped
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

No such thing as quality from China....
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"No such thing as quality from China...."

Even the Chinese avoid made in China for many products. The reality is that ebay and amazon have become a dumping ground for knockoffs and end of run rejects. Amazon has cleaned up a bit but ebay is still no better than Alibaba. In any case, LED for Automotive is more complicated than it first appears. I'm not sure what flash model was referred to above.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the item didn't even have a model number or brand..
the other thing i didn't like was there was no way to select asynchronous mode...only synchronous or let it be wild.
i mainly liked them for the super flat and bright leds.

these are the ones i have..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4P-6LED-Emerge ... 4902.l9144
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"Yeah most items made in china are knockoffs."

Maybe not Most but certainly a lot the cheap stuff you find on Amazon, eBay and Alibaba. The same stuff they sell in the electronics malls in china but we get the factory rejects while they keep the ones that work.

Did you see the CNN story on the counterfeit baby car seats that shatter in a 30MPH crash. Not the place I want to save money.

It may not feel good on the wallet and might restrict what we can get but USPS needs to stop subsidizing or enabling extremely low cost China Mail deliveries, if they do, it will curb the junk sales from these sellers. Shipping into china is 10X harder than shipping out. in most cases, a USA based seller has higher shipping cost than one in China (it just takes longer) for the same product but if they bought in bulk, maybe they got better quality than the average eBay sale, at least they may care about their seller rating.