How Do you Clean A Deep Fryer?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Re: How Do you Clean A Deep Fryer?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Addition:

The Hamiton Beach Deep Fryer had to be throw out. :(
The AC Power Connector Interface in the Base of the unit, and the Temperature Control Panel that Plugs in to it melted.
So, now they're stuck together.
Thus, I can't get it apart to clean the fry tub. :(

Currently......
I'm looking at Deep Fryers that are similar in oil capacity {8 CUP's}, or a bit more {1 Gallon}.
I'm also looking at Deep Fryers that don't have the Temperature Control Panel AC Power interconnector design. :P

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Have you looked at Fry Daddy Brand of fryers ?
they have several types.. maybe one of them can work for your needs..
Weaver84

Post by Weaver84 »

Wrap it with tin foil, which can reduce trouble.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Did you know....
Many deep fryers, and other heating appliances, come with a power cord that is held in place with magnets. A slight tug on the cord and it pops the connection apart so the contents don't dump out. Never had one drop out under normal use.
Now, that's a good Idea!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

The Power Unit plugs in to the Base, that holds the Fry Tub.
This Magnetic Power Cord, plugs in to the Base.
The design of this fryer has one major flaw.
That's the Power Connector built into the Base, that interlocks to the Power Unit.
That connection can get really hot, and melt the plastic connector.
{Which it did. Thus why I had to throw it out.} :mad:

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

A hot power cord or connector (not just warm but hot enough to damage itself or burn a person) would indicate a series resistance fault. This can be dirty contacts on the exterior but also poor construction internally if for example strands of the wire break before a crimped connection or oxidation of the wire. Unless they have #12 wire, I would expect the cord to get slightly warm given it is a high power appliance, #16 wire for a cord that short was probably used.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

UPDATE:

Okay,
The new Deep Fryer has come in, and has been run through about 2 pounds of French Fries, and Tatter Tots.
This unit will hold 1 gallon of oil, plus it has a mechanical timer that shuts off the unit when the set time is up.
Unfortunately, the cover will not let you raise or lower the basket(s), while it is in place.
Thus, you have to be extra careful when lowering the basket(s) into the oil, and putting the cover on.
Or removing the cover, and pulling the basket(s) out of the oil, when the timer goes off.

So far....
Cleaning it hasn't been a problem.
Just some Dawn dish soap, hot water, and a sponge.
Thou,
I've read through the manual.
It states that the Baskets, and Fry Tub are dishwasher safe.
Just that you can NOT USE THE SANITIZING CYCLE, when you wash them.

Well, I'll see how well it cleans up in the dishwasher at a later date.

Mycterism

Post by Mycterism »

First, Unplug and Cool Down. Then Unplug the oil deep fryer.
Start with the Frying Basket. Remove the frying basket and place it in the sink. Remove All the Used Oil
Clean Particles from Inside the Fryer. Clean the Inside with Soap. Soak with Hot Water. Wash the Frying Basket. Rinse the Fryer. And that's it.
I have learned that from a review article online. Reviews helped me a lot in figuring out things, just like where I have discovered Mastech multimeter https://bestmultimeterreviews.org/maste ... er-review/. It helped me know how to use that tool.
Jastreb_J21

Post by Jastreb_J21 »

I've grown up in Belgium, where fries are a religion. As a kid, I'd scrub the fryer's basket with a brush that has metallic hair, but that's a long and demanding job... Until I found out that burning the grease off the basket by putting it for a short time over an open flame will shorten the scrubbing by a good 60-70%.
But then, you really have to do it to a full metal basket (no plastic parts!) with something not thermally conductive to hold it, and to have a large-ish open flame available.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

UPDATE:

I still haven't tried putting the Fry Tub, or Baskets into the Dishwasher.
Because they have been cleaning up really easy with just a sponge, hot water, and some Dawn dish soap. :mrgreen:

But, I'm not liking the mechanical timer on this unit.
It is very imprecise, especially when you need to fry something for less than 10 to 5 minutes.
Also, when the mechanical timer dings, when it finishes.
It turns off the Power to the Heating Element, which causes the oil to cool down.
Thus, I had too get the oil back up to temp, before I could do up the next batch.

Anyway,
I put the fryer into the "Stay On" position, dug out an old digital cook timer I had.
Then, I started frying up some breaded fish.
The fish would take about 5 minutes to be fully cooked, but you had to flip them over at 2 1/2 minutes.
So, both sides were evenly browned.
They turned out pretty good. :grin:

PS: Can't the Moderator of this forum, at least erase the SPAM that was posted here?
Timray

Post by Timray »

Cleaning the fryer bai:
The fryer dilutes the cleaning agent with a ratio of du1:5 (cleaning agent: water). Spray (or wipe zhuan) the surface of the fryer directly with a watering can or dao cloth, keep it for 5 minutes, then scrub with a soft brush and rinse with clean water.
The fryer can also dilute this product into a 5-10% solution, heat and soak the inner wall of the fryer for 20-30 minutes, and then clean it with clean water. If there are stubborn stains, scrub with a soft brush.
Cleaning of frying pan-cleaning of baking tray and grilling net:
1 Dilute the cleaning agent at a ratio of 1:5 (cleaning agent: water).
2 Soak the grilling net to be cleaned in the diluted detergent solution for 10-15 minutes.
3 Remove the baking pan/bake net, put it in warm water, and scrub it with a brush.
4 Rinse the fryer with tap water.
maysaaenables2

Post by maysaaenables2 »

Sure, I do because if I don’t do that regularly, it gets too greasy and disgusting. It is enough to use some detergent every time to remove all the grease and make it clean. I used to leave it like this and clean it every couple of times, but this way, it gets too greasy. That’s why I properly clean it every time I change the oil. I do the same to all the other kitchen appliances in my home because I like them clean. It is just more pleasant to cook in clean things. I even clean my cool cast iron sandwich maker every time after use to make sure it’s ready for the next time.
fabbo66

Post by fabbo66 »

There's 3 procedures that I've seen.

Getting debris out without changing oil to keep oil clean: With the oil still hot, drain the oil through a strainer into a metal pot. A finer strainer is better, but be careful not to let it overflow (i.e. don't walk away). Turn the fryer off as you're draining the oil or else it will smoke up. Depending on what type of floor you have, you might want to put towels or cardboard below the pot so the hot pot/oil don't melt the floor. You can use a metal brillo to scrub out any gunk left inside, and carefully ladle oil from the pot into the fryer to flush out anything left inside after the drain. Wait for the oil/pot to cool and then pour it back into the fryer after you close the drain.

Replacing the oil: Same procedure as above, except you don't have to strain the oil as you drain it because you'll be throwing it away. Before pouring in new oil you can use soapy water to clean out the inside, but make sure when you drain out the soapy water you're draining it into a different pot than you used for the oil. Also make sure to rinse out all soap with water, you don't want soap in the fryer when you put into new oil. As another poster said, make sure you strain out the soapy water when pouring it down the drain. Pour in new oil after you've dried out the inside of the frier, don't want to mix water with oil.

Deep clean: Drain out old oil as in first procedure, then fill the fryer with soapy water 2/3 of capacity after the fryer has cooled. Pouring water into a hot fryer can damage it and/or cause the metal within it to warp or crack. Turn frier on, let it stay hot for about 20-30 mins. Don't walk away, if the soapy water foams up and wants to overflow turn off the fryer. Turn off the fryer and let the water cool to where it's not scalding hot but also isn't cold. Scrub away at the inside. Drain, rinse, dry. Refill.

Safety tips:

1. Don't mix water with oil, especially hot oil. If you drop a bunch of water into hot oil it will flash to steam, exploding and sending hot oil everywhere. This is, of course, dangerous.

2. Don't ever try to move a pot of hot oil. Even if you think the oil is just warm, some of it still may be hot enough to burn you.

3. Make sure everyone around is aware that you're cleaning the fryer. When moving the oil make sure your path is unobstructed and that nobody is going to be in your way. Have someone hold open doors for you if necessary. Make sure the floor isn't slippery. Last thing you want to do is spill a whole pot of oil all over the floor. I've done it and it's hell on earth cleaning up large amounts of oil. You can't really mop it up. If you do spill it everywhere your best bet is to pour flour all over the oil and then scoop it up with a dustpan while you cry in shame and brood over your mistake.

4. If you do get burned by the oil, especially if it's a serious burn, don't rush to the sink and run the burn under cold water. Look up "degloving" for some nasty pics of why you don't do this. Essentially cold water on a hot oil burn will cause your skin to literally fall off. Let the burn cool, then flush it under lukewarm water. Then wrap the burn in gauze and treat as usual.

_____
Buy tiktok views
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

what does this thread have to do with electronics ?? I'm lost
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Basically how to clean one without submersing or otherwise destroying the electronic controls.
Hey, what do I know?