Interesting assembly method...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Interesting assembly method...

Post by Externet »

Dismantled some cell phones to learn and enjoy the way they are built lately, and found their lithium cell attached to the case with the method those 'Command' wall fasteners use. Two removable adhesive strips that come out by pulling. Very hidden next to the cell, pulling tabs releases it. :shock: ...nice !

Discarded phones that power up after minor surgery cannot be used at all if have a password, right ?
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Janitor Tzap

Re: Interesting assembly method...

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Externet wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:36 pmDiscarded phones that power up after minor surgery cannot be used at all if have a password, right ?
Hmmm..............

I picked up a AT&T handset for a different model Base-Station Unit.
I was able to reset the handset and program it to work with my older Base-Station Unit.

As for a Cell Phone......
There is probably a way to reset the Phone, and wipe the password using a certain keypad configuration that you punch in.
Note: Each Manufacturer will use a different Key Pattern to reset a phone, and or model.
OR
Connect the Cell Phone vie Mini-USB Port to a computer, then wipe & reprogram the cell phone.
{Use too just go to Radio Shack with a cell phone, and they could wipe it and set it up with a new PIN.}

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"There is probably a way to reset the Phone, and wipe the password using a certain keypad configuration that you punch in."

Possibly so but without "right to repair" laws, they rarely tell us.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k5 ... -on-monday

I think this was a wireless landline type so resetting is really just repairing with the base which is probably documented in the manual. Too many models to guess which you are referring to.

If you are asking about cell phones, the USB method can often be used with the OEM support (or bootloader) program to restore to a factory reset. Its not clear what the password protects (at least on a wireless landline). The lock screen can be opened sometimes with the right software, On some models if you can get to the boot menu, then you have a chance of making a factory reset. Boot menu access is typically made by some combination of holding buttons while powering up
Externet

Post by Externet »

Nice link, haklesup. Did not see all ramifications in it, but nice. With no plans to stop repairing anything that gets to my hands, lawful or not.

Was lucky, one phone I guessed the password sweeping a gesture on the keypad. But erased all previous contents anyway, and left without password. 3 others found instructions to turn-on in a mode that clears all reverting to factory-new deleting all user contents. 2 others were not protected.

Now I have more junk to fill bins. 6 old cell phones in working condition, and 2 half-way in need of displays. Somehow better that at a landfill.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Cool. :cool:

If most are in working order, consider donating them too some organization that is wanting Cell Phones.
Example: {Local Police Depart for emergency 911 Phone, Salvation Army; Phones for the Homeless.}
Then just write it off for your Taxes. :wink:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Its lawful for you to fix electronics but perhaps not to import Apple compatible Digitizers and try to repair Apple phones yourself. Apple will serve you with a cease and desist letter for not being authorized and not using their branded parts and your screens may be confiscated by customs as counterfeit at the border. This is not the case for the majority of Android phones or tablets for example