Crappy Headphone wires.......

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Crappy Headphone wires.......

Post by Janitor Tzap » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm

I have two sets of these Logitech H150 Headphones/Mic with mute/Stereo Vol control.
Originally the foam Ear Pads for the speakers wore out.
So, I replaced them with softer and larger Ear Pads.
But now I've got issues with the wires. :x
They either make or break connections, and cause the stereo L & R separation to become Monaural Stereo. :x

I also have a more expensive Logitech Headset /Mic with mute/Stereo Vol control.
It too has the problem of shorting and becoming Monaural Stereo. :x

As you can see, they have the wire coming out the one side of the headset.
Now where can I find replacement wire for these?

Signed Janitor Tzap

haklesup

Re: Crappy Headphone wires.......

Post by haklesup » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Cheap assembly of audio cables or just cheap wire I have seen many many times. Unless these headphones are special to you, I suggest you change to something wireless this Christmas.

As for replacement, look for 3 conductor, 28 gauge with shield though the original may have been thinner, you can upgrade to #24

https://www.amazon.com/CBAZYTM-Control- ... r=8-8&th=1

maybe its 2 conductor with shield, anyway, you can figure it out by cutting into it.

For me, I would probably buy a good stereo patch cord (1/8th ")with the connector preassembled at both ends and cut one end off, save me assembling one end at least. this may end up being cheaper because you buy less wire in bulk

https://www.amazon.com/Oldboytech-Auxil ... 483&sr=8-3

Janitor Tzap

Re: Crappy Headphone wires.......

Post by Janitor Tzap » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am

UPDATE:

The Logitech H150 Headphones/Mic with mute/Stereo Vol control.
Out of the 2, I was able to make one good set by cannibalizing the worst of the two.

I also repaired an old Radio Shack Headset/Mic Headphones, by spicing some broken wires back together.
So, I've now got a spare.

I haven't done anything with the more expensive Logitech Headset /Mic / mute/Stereo Vol control, yet.
Working with the small wires is a pain, it is too easy to damage them. :(

Edit:
The more expensive Logitech Headset /Mic / mute/Stereo Vol control has been repaired.
I found that the wire between the mute/Stereo Vol control and the Headset / Mic, had a break right in the middle of it.
I still had wire left over from cannibalizing the one Logitech H150 Headphones/Mic with mute/Stereo Vol control.
Thus, I used that to replace the bad wire.

I still would like to find a few feet of the Armored Cabling that most of the newer Gaming Headsets for XBox's,
and other gaming platforms are using.

Signed: Janitor Tzap