What do you call this?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimandy

What do you call this?

Post by jimandy »

What do you call this. It's a USB style connector the same shape of a micro B but with slightly different dimensions. It is on the charging cables that come with the SQ11 and Firefly DV micro cams and their look-alikes. It is approx. 5 x 2 mm.( The micro B is approx 7.5. x 3 mm). Other than the cable that come with my camera I can't find a source for a spare as there is no name to call it.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
dacflyer

Re: What do you call this?

Post by dacflyer »

picture or model of the camera ? i hope it is not a proprietary connector as some are.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

I'm having trouble on this forum. I logged in and replied and it came back and said I need to log in!!!
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Cameras are sold by Amazon and others so you can get lots of info there on the SQ11 and Hawkeye Firefly.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

It is a proprietary cable.

Unless you want to try and make your own spare cable, I suggest you just get this one off of E-bay.
https://www.ebay.com/i/132881495530?chn ... gLrTvD_BwE

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

OK, so I think I have narrowed this down to a connector identified as a "Micro 8 Pin" that matches the dimensions of one of the 4 adapter tips in a kit of adapters packaged under the name brand Cyber Power, and sold at WalMart (and on eBay with pictures) But a Google of the term finds no site that I have found where the specs on such a connector are described. I would assume, since this adapter is included in the kit, that there must be other devices besides the SQ11 and Firefly that use it.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

An image search on "USB connector types" yields lots of outline drawings

A search on Digikey for USB adapters shows products compatible with 6 different USB plugs (listed in the filter). These usually have drawings and datasheets when you drill down to the product pages.

Looks like the types on digikey are USB A, B and C, Micro AB and B and Mini B and micro B-hybrid

that list appears to match the first image on this page
https://www.conwire.com/ultimate-guide-usb-cables/
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Is other end a yellow RCA connector like the one shown by Janitor TZap?

If yes, then my guess is HDMI video only, not charger.

Cheers,
Dale Y
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Maybe I am one of few that gets hung up on terminology but if dealing with the compatibility of a cable at the connector end, the terms for USB type
"mini" and "micro" are not really sufficient, particularly with the "micro" category, as it seems to encompass a collection of connectors that vary in size and number of pins. I may be scolded for saying that I trust Wikipedia as fairly authoritive on terminology, and they don't describe a USB Micro with 8 Pins, or, as one I found on Amazon, a Micro with 11 pins! What is amazing about all this to me is how they get smaller with so many pins!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's the operation manual and the Spec's for the Hawkeye Firefly.
https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/sites/defa ... 2.0%20.pdf
They simply describe the jack as "Mini-USB".

I can sort-a understand the confusion your having, since there are the 2 different Mini-USB jack configurations.
5-pin + GND shield.
&
10-pin + GND shield.
Note: There are lots of different proprietary mini-USB connectors out for other camera's, and other devices.
But, IMHO, your making too big of a problem of this.
As I suggested; Just get a Cable off of E-Bay, {Just make sure it is the same Pin configuration as the current cable you have}.
And maybe get one of those 1A 5Vdc USB Power Supplies.
So you can charge the camera with out needing to connect it to a Computer/Laptop.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Actually my query was about different types of USB connectors designated "micro" (5 pin, 8 pin, 11 pin). The original problem was solved when I ordered a cable (from China) as mentioned in the well produced and informative video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xspDf3UTi3w&t=131s) where the narrator assembles a cable to hook a battery and transmitter to the Firefly.
The topic was from an academic as well as practical interest to understand why the micros (8p and 11p) are not defined in the standards that I looked at on the web. The fact that Cyber Power includes such an adapter (the 8P) added to my curiosity.

BTW, after my absence for a long time from this forum I was happy to see responses from those who helped me on questions in the distant past. My regards to you all.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I think the 7 types of "USB" cables are actually for USB applications of data and power and doesn't say much about 2.0 or 3.0 speeds. However there are other small connectors used with USB A that are used strictly for charging and may not follow any standard or trend.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Right on!
When talking USB most of us don't think about "NTSC analog video out" with regard to USB cables sold all over the place.
The hybrid USB cables with the RCA plug pigtail fall well within the category of proprietary.
I'm just grousing about the fact that the terms "Mini" and "Micro" are inadequate to those of us who like specificity in a description of the supplied or needed cable type for a device we are considering to purchase.