I found a doohicky thingie

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

I found a doohicky thingie

Post by dacflyer »

I went the thrift store down the street during my lunch break today.
I found some sort of OBD2 OBDII module.
I got it for 50 cent.
Upon closer inspection it appears to be one of them safe driving rewards modules from Nationwide Insurance.
It is made by a company called Danlaw. - Model DL200, this one is in a frosted clear case. i could see inside a little.
But only could see some gold colored stuff, and a chip of some sort,, I thought a SD chip or such.
So i could not resist, i cracked it open ( it was easy ) and inside i discovered a SIM card, and it has a nice
cell module in it made by "Telit" model GE864-QUAD.
It's got other stuff, but i can't make out what all else is on the boards, as both boards components are facing each other.
i couldn't find much about it on the net, i am assuming this is a generation 1 module..

here is a link to a generation 2 module , DANLAW, DL750
https://www.danlawinc.com/gen-2-datalog ... echnology/

i am curious if anybody has hacked one for personal data logging for their own use.
Janitor Tzap

Re: I found a doohicky thingie

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Damn! :shock:
That "Telit" model GE864-QUAD is more than just a memory storage module.
Here's a PDF with all kinds of technical spec's it has.
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Cel ... de_r11.pdf

I'm thinking the other circuitry is just for a GPS type receiver, and a power regulator.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Would there be a transmitter too .. I had some garden watering timers for drip irrigation that I tried to repurpose but forget at the moment what I tried to do.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The ODBII dongles can be very useful, The ELM327 module is the most generic form and is widely available works with a multitude of free "Car Scanner" apps in either app store, It just saved me tons of money after the 104F heat really strained my vehicles last week. The insurance company scanners are probably a little more complex adding more than Bluetooth to get the data back to the company server and sometimes GPS. Evidently they add a SIM card but the Bluetooth module is probably still there enabling diagnostics through their app.

In any case, try downloading any ELM327 compatible car scanner app from the app store and attempt to pair it using Bluetooth. It usually pairs on 0000 or 1234 but maybe they change the code to prevent generic usage.

if you can't get that one to work, its still fun to get the $10 or $20 one on Amazon. Some apps do all sorts of performance tests using the accelerometer in your phone as well as reading and clearing DTC codes.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I might take the SIM card out and try it,, see what it does..
would be funny if i just plug it in and then Nationwide starts getting data on my car..
I just seen that ir has tiny writing on it that says POWERED BY..www.octousa.com
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I was thinking about this one. Even if there is a ELM327 core in there, they probably made the Bluetooth access code specific so you can't attach to it anyway. First step is plug it in and see if you phone can detect a new BT signal. When I use mine, I don't need to connect to BT first, the App does that for me as long as BT is turned on of course. I use an app simply called Car Scanner

do a search on IOT SIM cards, you can find other sources but I doubt you can get any to cooperate with that device
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks.. i'll try it soon..