Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Re: Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

Post by CeaSaR »

mpgmike wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 pm Times are tough for N&V, and scads of other companies in kazillions of other industries; partially due to COVID-19, and in part due to global competition. I have been writing the "NEXTION" articles (as of this post, Part 4 was published) for N&V, and have enjoyed reading numerous articles for a couple years.

Point: Nuts & Volts provides value I enjoy.

I myself have dealt with publishing a quarterly magazine, and have also been obligated to meet web site article submission deadlines. At one point one believes there is so much "stuff" that "we" could never run "dry". That lasts for a couple months, at best. Nuts & Volts has been providing new, fresh, ground-breaking, revolutionary, and just basically informative articles for more years than I have been subscribed -- consistently!!! Nobody has died (at least that is what Robin told me). However, there were fires (California), a move, near death in the family, severe illness in the family (different family members), and the crap the rest of us deal with (COVID-19, elections, and so forth).

It is definitely frustrating when I drive 1/2 mile up the dirt lane to check the mail -- day after day-- hoping for the promised new edition of Nuts and Volt -- and it isn't there. It can be frustrating when one spends money on a subscription, only to find that the product isn't being delivered in the timely manner promised.

Here is my personal take: Robin & Sean are fighting battles we can only imagine. Sean has shared snippets on this forum. They have obligations to me and you for Nuts & Volts (and for Servo Magazine). Most folks could quit their job and the company would continue as before. Robin & Sean haven't quit.

As I perceive it, they are fighting battles that for most of us, go un-noticed. For them, these battles affect the shipping of their product, magazines. If you absolutely HAVE to have your delivery on time, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for new information, new concepts, unique ideas, well-written how-to articles, industry news, and cannot find it anywhere else, please bear with the Lemieuxes as they work out their personal issues and strive to provide us with goodies we simply cannot find anywhere else.
I would like to thank you for your candid and upbeat thoughts on what is going on with the magazine. I would like to add that from a recent PM (about the SPAM of all things), Sean has let me know that things are finally moving in a much more positive direction. So sit tight everyone, we'll see how things play out.
Hey, what do I know?
solar3000

Post by solar3000 »

Unfortunately, nuts and volts needs a new business model. I'm no money-making business tyrant.

No, I don't have any brilliant ideas. All I know is that magazines today are almost all online and are often free of charge. You could do advertising, but you'll get five pennies a month.

I think many of us left-over old guys would gladly donate if asked.

How about partnering with Micro Center? They carry technical magazines. Maybe they can carry your magazine. I don't see your zine at Micro Center. I do see Maker magazine and others.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Micro Center was the last place I had seen N&V in a physical form. It's been a while though...
Hey, what do I know?
solar3000

Post by solar3000 »

UUUmmmmmm....
https://www.google.com/search?q=nuts+vo ... center.com

I was there today and.... no nutsvolts.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Woo-Hoo
Dose gittin rid of papper means my literatcy skore gets beter cince there aint no erors in me ritings?
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
williams01933

Post by williams01933 »

I am pretty sure that N&V is dead. It seems to have committed suicide about 4 months ago when it last published a magazine.
If not dead then at least comatose and unresponsive.

I partially agree with Solar3000 that they need a new business model but I also believe that they need a new and more professional publishing/editorial team.
In the business world you simply can not keep relying on personal mishaps and family tragedies to explain what is, in essence, simply business failure to deliver on your commitments.
A year ago I had some sympathy for their catalog of family problems and accepted their promises that they would "catch up". However, here we are now and they are one entire year behind their publication schedule and have not published a magazine in either print or digital format, in 4 months.
That is simply not how a subscriber driven publication can behave if they want to stay in business.
I believe this is compounded by the fact that even though this publication is suffering they still continue blindly trying to publish a second magazine (Servo) at the same time. One or the other would seem a sensible choice at the moment.
They will probably end up ruining or losing both titles in the end because they can not see the obvious.

I would be genuinely happy if they could prove me wrong by resuming a "proper" publication schedule but I do not think they are going to be able to do that without outside help.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Well I just got a new issue a few days ago. Was it very late...or very early?

As an observation, are the N&V magazine issues to blame for the poor response of members on the forum? Is it a too-busy, other direction, apathetic mindset? Many other forums seem to be more active and they do not have an associated publication. So many times I am the only one online aside from the bots. To my knowledge, no other electronic magazine or books, are still publishing here. I have a book shelf of McGraw-Hill electronic text books, but have seen none in recent years. Where are all the Sam's and Tab books, except those on my shelf. Has anyone seen any of these on a local 'electronics shop' (even if there is one) bookshelf? Surprisingly, ARRL still publishes the ARRL Manual, which is now 6 soft covers in a library case. and that's about it.
Yes, I miss the regularity of the monthly N&V but I also miss a lot that will never be here again.

Honest Questiion:
I never subscribed to Servo. Is it doing any better? I know they have a section here but do they also have a separate site? The last post there was in 2016
Len

Externet

Post by Externet »

There is Nuts&Volts magazine; and Nuts&Volts forum. Death evaluation should be dealt by separate coroners.*

In mid nineties, the trendy forums on the web were 'Popular Electronics' and something with Microsoft forums? and something else as ' Electronics Now' ?
Those places harbored some (or now very few) of the regulars here. Both their magazines and forums deceased and the only left to migrate to was Nuts&Volts that has provided us, a small group with the continuity from the past for twenty years! which I appreciate very much even if shows little activity. I feel 'at home' here. T H A N K Y O U.

* Even when the death of one will dictate the other...

- I do not remember the sequence of the early forums; does any of you have recollection ? - Just curious and nostalgic of those wonderful times.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Sean Lemieux

Post by Sean Lemieux »

Hey guys! Just want to reassure everyone that we are not dead! As Lenp mentioned, 2020 Issue 1 print has been received by most subscribers as of the last two weeks. We are currently wrapping up the next issue so you guys will be receiving that in digital shortly.

As an update, we've just got up and running on our new account management system and our new printer (which was a lot to tackle at once to say the least). Since we have all the on-boarding difficulties out of the way with these new systems and have now published our first issue with them, we don't foresee any more delays and can start cranking out the content.

SERVO is on the same schedule as Nuts & Volts. They usually arrive within a week or so of each other.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Thanks Sean, but now....There will be nothing to post about :grin:
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Huzzah!!! Finally some good news out of 2020.

Like Len, I usually am accompanied by Bots and "Guests". 'Tis the rare occasion I see another "regular poster" on at the same time (and I'm on multiple times of the day).

Now to all who celebrate, a very early Merry Christmas, current Happy Hanukkah, early Kwanzaa. If you cerebrate another holiday, please know that I wish it well - let me know what it is and I'll add it in.

Stay safe, stay strong. Most of all, keep that iron hot and build something! (preferably while teaching someone new to the hobby) :)
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

WOW!
6 NEW posts all in the same day!
Causes Célèbres
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Lenp - I see you, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 41 guests. Rare indeed.
7! or is that 8? It's just too much for the head to comprehend! LOL
I raise a glass in celebration. Okay, it's a coffee mug... :D
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I'm getting giddy with excitement....
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Is that truly giddy, or just stir crazy? o_O LOLOLOL

"Don't talk to yourself."
"I'm not talking to myself."
"Yes you are."
"No I'm not!"
"Who said that??"
Hey, what do I know?