Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
TateRB

Re: Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

Post by TateRB »

I still haven't received my "Issue 3" which was supposed to be in the middle of July. Just looked and don't see the digital edition of it either...
Not looking good!
Sean Lemieux

Post by Sean Lemieux »

Hello TateRB, let me clarify what is happening with us and the magazine:

We’ve had a bizarre run of bad luck, especially since the end of 2018. We are a small family business, not a large publishing company with dozens of employees. We moved our business last summer and were impacted by wildfires which then turned to floods in the winter (we're located in southern California). We then had power outages almost every day for about 6 weeks, loss of Internet (one time for over 30 hours), a family friend die, a family friend’s six month old grandson die, my mother was sick for five weeks between Mar and Apr, the publisher had to be rushed to emergency for a TIA (he’s okay now), and I was in a motorcycle accident recovering for about 5 weeks.

With all this, we had to delay the magazines for the first time in 40 years. The reason we cannot just publish issues to catch up is we need to allow a certain amount of time for the magazines to be on newsstands and in subscribers hands. We plan to get back on schedule but have to do it in proper increments. The 2019 Issue 3 digital edition for Nuts & Volts is just about finalized and should be available in the next week or so. SERVO will follow shortly after.

We sincerely apologize for the delay and appreciate everyone's patience and hanging in there with us. We're still here and fully intend on publishing magazines, they'll just be arriving later than normal for the next few issues.

Kind Regards,
Sean Lemieux
AlcidePir2

Post by AlcidePir2 »

I was on the point to send a reminder, but I see that TateRB did it.
I appreciate Sean, that you answer rapidly to this.

We are all sorry for all your misfortunes, and hope to see N&V in good shape again soon !
evahle

Post by evahle »

Sheez!! All I hear are complaints. How about discussing solutions instead? N&V has to make money to stay in business. So I would like to see everyone
here come up with a way to do that.
1) For instance, how about setting up an Amazon store to sell the parts & equip. in each article?
2) Since we don't have electronics classes in high school here, or electronic stores anymore, we could go on YouTube and show everything for beginners
and professionals alike. Again, include where to buy the parts and equip. and books & N&V magazine(Amazon).
3) I too had many DIY magazines with lots of schematics(and descriptions), we'd have to sell one of our own as well. I wish I could remember the names
of the magazines I bought at K-Mart that included 99 projects for instance, and don't forget Forrest Mims III !!!
4) Breadboards with matching pcbs are still available everywhere, add to that all the through hole Ics, resistors, caps etc. are still available too
5) Soldering equipment, parts are extremely cheap today compared to the 1980's !!
6) Oh I wish we had Google, YouTube, N&V online, Amazon back in the 80s! Not to mention the INTERNET!
7) Everything we need to change this magazine and get new people interested again is everywhere. We just need to put it all together with new
ideas to get them started, and to easily find what they need online.
8) We should post in this forum any links to YouTube videos for beginners and professionals, like EEVblog for instance.
Come on guys, you're all smart people. Let's help out. We already made a big leap when we added photos of our projects.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Good point, even the replicator never makes paper or plastic objects

its possible N&V could go all electronic someday, it would change the landscape of deadlines and cost for the publisher. A big adjustment but in this new world, may be inevitable. They can put that money into marketing and content or staff instead and build the website up to a must visit site. Just a thought I'm sure they've had.

There are a few "just in time" printers that print low Qty, if that business model were to grow as default printed mags decline, it may offer those who like print a way to get it. For example, I get an electronic journal and if I want a print copy, I order it from a UPS store and they deliver it or I pick it up in person. I see the demand, when will they figure it out.

There is content for this subject but its not what it was in 1980, that's for sure. for example, The right to repair movement is growing and needs more champions in publishing. Collaborative projects should also draw in more people similar to open source software but takes time to build a following.
AlcidePir2

Post by AlcidePir2 »

I finally received the N&V "2019 Issue-3" !
So it has been 3 months since "Issue-2".

Sean has explained all the problems encounter by N&V recently. Let us hope that the delay to "Issue-4" will decrease, but I doubt
there will be 6 issues as promised in 2019.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Sometime ago I got a copy of the the writer's guide for N & V, and now....Should I bother?
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Steve Halstaff Koci

Post by Steve Halstaff Koci »

Lenp wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:18 pm Sometime ago I got a copy of the the writer's guide for N & V, and now....Should I bother?
Of course you should! Share that vast knowledge as quality content is what will keep the magazine going!
May the passion to build be with you!
TateRB

Post by TateRB »

Thank you Sean Lemieux for your answer and explanation.
I see that Issue 3 has finally gotten out and some have received it so I'm confident that my copy will eventually get here (as soon as hurricane Dorian gets past here!). I have been a subscriber since it was printed on newsprint and still have most copies of them here. I miss getting my copy and will continue to buy them as long as you print them.
Sean Lemieux

Post by Sean Lemieux »

The print version of Issue 3 is still at the printer. Subscribers won't be receiving that for a matter of weeks. The digital edition is available though. All of us here at T&L Publication truly appreciate your support!
TateRB

Post by TateRB »

Sean Lemieux wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 am The print version of Issue 3 is still at the printer. Subscribers won't be receiving that for a matter of weeks. The digital edition is available though. All of us here at T&L Publication truly appreciate your support!
It is now Oct. 5 and I still haven't gotten my copy....Sorry to be a pest... :eek:
mpgmike

Post by mpgmike »

I have subscribed to N&V for a couple of years and just realized they have a forum! (You'll notice I just joined and this is my first post.) The last time I renewed my subscription it was for 2 years. I'm willing to give them to the end of my subscription to get things reorganized (I won't cancel my subscription). I've been in their shoes many times, where deadlines were missed due to unforeseen circumstances (seemingly beyond my control). Thankfully, most folks affected were understanding of my conundrum. I shall repay the consideration to the fine folks at N&V (for now anyways).
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

It's all about money! The internet has turned into a shell game, and sometimes they play with 3 empty shells.
All the spam, redirects and outright malicious garbage are enough to destroy any potential benefits, but somehow somebody is paying them and the crooks are harvesting the gold! Years ago wiring drawings were easily available, I remember back in the old days a letter to a radio manufacturer would be responded to with another letter, and a full drawing. Well that's long gone now, we don't even know who makes most things and we couldn't write a letter they could read. Popping some bait and a pay-me-now link on a website is so easy and the cash flow is so quick, it is their real cash cow.

Years ago the back of popular magazines had a ton of cheap two and three line ads for almost anything, like cook books and recipes. The business model was ' Send us $.99 and we'll send you....what sometimes was two pages stapled together. The real deal was this; for under $1 not many ever bothered to ask for a refund! These guys are the grandchildren of those advertisers, in a digital world.

Think..When they tell you how good it is for you, it is likely way better for them!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
zace66

Post by zace66 »

Sooo,,,, any updates? Thew last magazine was back in August :(
Steve Halstaff Koci

Post by Steve Halstaff Koci »

I got my electronic versions on Thursday.
May the passion to build be with you!