Soldering Fat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Soldering Fat

Post by dacflyer »

Has anyone here ever used something called Soldering Fat.
what's the difference between this and flux or even resin ?
I've used the soldering fat before, It seems to work really good when soldering small stuff. A Lil Dab'l Do Ya.
I just don't know what the real differences are.
index.jpg
index.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
haklesup

Re: Soldering Fat

Post by haklesup »

probably noting but a regional translation quirk, I could not find any examples of the packaging printed in english
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

It's Plumbers Paste.

Great for cleaning Soldering Iron Tips, but is meant for soldering together copper piping.
It does contain a mix of fat and flux.
So as to make it stick to the copper ends that are too be soldered together.
Here's a video on Copper Pipe Soldering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyVbjDsric4

Edit:
I found this recipe on how to make it.
Soldering Fat

To make soldering fat, there should be melted in a pot over a hard coal fire 1 lb. tallow and 1 lb. olive oil, into which is stirred 8 ounces of pulverized colophony and the mass allowed to boil. After the mixture is cooled, add, with constant stirring, 1/4 pint of water which has been saturated with pulverized ammonia.
Also.....
Here's a site that talks about solder, the types to use, and the different flux's {Including Pork Fat, and Coca-Cola}. :roll:
http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/soldering.htm

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I have some iron tips that just wouldn't take solder to save your life, even after cleaning with tip tinner etc, but i did find out, If I put the tip ( hot ) into the soldering fat for about a min or so, the tip became serviceable again..almost like new.

I might be inclined to try the Coke as a cleaner,, but i'll do one better...The main working ingredient in Coke is the Phosphoric acid, It's in many sodas actually. And I just happen to have about 8 ounces left over from when I was using it as a rust treatment for a truck I was working on.