hot surface ignitor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
spindown

hot surface ignitor

Post by spindown »

Can anyone refer me to a source of information on hot surface ignitors? I'm interested in their construction and voltage - current requirements
also are they unit specific or are they interchangeable? thanks Paul
jwax

Re: hot surface ignitor

Post by jwax »

WA2RBA
terri

Post by terri »

FROM:<p>http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory-10.htm<p>"Furnace ignitors are found on most modern furnaces to light the gas flames upon unit start-up. Electricity passes through the Silicon Carbide ignitor and makes it glow red hot. Operating under normal conditions for 3 - 5 years, ignitors will eventually crack and need to be replaced. Like a light bulb, they are a regular replacement item. Most ignitors are interchageable as long as they fit in the furnace space provided. If when selecting your replacement ignitor you don't find the exact base and connector combination, keep in mind that most ignitors include ceramic wire nuts to adapt. For longer ignitor life, an ignitor made of a material called Nitride is available below as well. (Please note that ignitors are very fragile and can break easily during installation if not handled carefully.)"<p>I dug this out from the search results in the above post. They used to make cigarette lighters with a battery-and-teeny-tiny-hot coil for igniting the butane flame.
terri wd0edw
spindown

Post by spindown »

Thanks for your help. I was wondering if there was a device someone could use temporarily say on a weekend when the stores are closed? I was thinking about some nichrome wire? Paul
terri

Post by terri »

Don't experiment with furnaces unless you live next to a fire house.<p>Since we know these ignitors are fairly standard devices, but are fragile and consumable, the solution is to buy proper spares in advance.<p>The heating circuitry is designed for the silicon carbide. You could probably jury-rig something out of nichrome with a different power supply, but I sure as heck would not, and it probably would not last long. There are, after all, 24-hour furnace service companies.<p>I repeat, redundantly, reiteratively, once more, again and over and over:<p>Don't experiment with furnaces unless you live next to a fire house.<p>Don't experiment with furnaces unless you live next to a fire house.<p>Don't experiment with furnaces unless you live next to a fire house.<p>Experience has spoken.
terri wd0edw