Need help with a circuit again

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
1moldmaker

Need help with a circuit again

Post by 1moldmaker »

This is a circuit the you guys have had helped out in the past, Its a Schmidt trigger , C1 determines the time the circuit will stay on until other led turns on, Right now the circuit has a 2 second delay. I was wondering if there was a way that I could incorporate a trim pot and a bleeder resistor with a bigger capacitor to adjust the amount of delay from 2 seconds to 15 seconds or anything else in between.

The only problem is I would like to add a picture of my schematic but I cant add any jpeg. bip, tif, pig attachments

any suggestions
dyarker

Re: Need help with a circuit again

Post by dyarker »

I'll have to assume a resistor and C1 determines the 2 second time. As 2 seconds will be the minimum time, leave that resistor in the circuit. Add a potentiometer (configured as a variable resistor) in series. The total of existing resistor and variable at max should be (about) 7.5 times the value of existing resister alone.

555 time IC circuits also do this job well. (CMOS 555s can use lower power resistors).

Cheers,
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

thanks, here is a link to my circuit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xk6dTF ... sp=sharing
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I've seen this here before.
Don't make the capacitor bigger. Put a 74K (or nearest standard value potentiometer configured as a variable resistor in series with the 10K resistor. At zero the 10K gives the 2 seconds as before; at 74K setting the 10K plus 74K gives around 15 Seconds. In-between settings give in-between times.

Cheers,
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

OK, The reason I thought that I needed to add a bigger capacitor is because when I changed it from a 22uf to a 10 uf capacitor the led stayed on for a 1/2 second .
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

See-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant

Going strictly by RC you can increase the time by increasing the capacitor. But, you've got zero ohms in the charge part of the circuit. That can be hard on the switch contacts, and maybe the power supply too. So I suggested increasing the resistance in the discharge part of the circuit to increase the "on" time.

Also, you said "adjust" from 2 to 15 Seconds. You will not find a variable capacitor anywhere near 22uF. ((Variable capacitors are like 500pF (aka 500uuF) a 100000 times smaller, and down.))

Cheers,
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

Thanks again, I think you helped me on the this circuit before,
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

I breadboard that circuit last weekend, and it didn't work, depending on the resistance that I would set on the pot, the second light would stay on for maybe a couple of seconds, to much resistance and both lights would turn on real dim, then once I would turn of the switch the the second light would finally turn on. Also I should note that I took out the resistors out for the LED's and I am using incandescent lights.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

???
Where did you put it, and how much?
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

I had a 1 m pot that I pot in front of the 10k resistor, then I tried a 10k , 47k resistors, any thing larger than that the circuit wouldn't work or it would act funny.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I said 74K. 1M is 13 times bigger! Did you short the wiper to one end to make a variable resistor in series with 10K?

Or ground one end of pot (making a high resistance voltage divider (wrong!).
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

I will try it again I will letyou know what I get
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

Sorry I had it laid out wrong, the circuit works fine, I need to get a smaller pot, hoping to have the second light stay on a little longer after I disengage the switch, thanks
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Schmidt2LESDs.png
Testing "Attachments". Might still be useful. The only change from previous circuit is pot in base's path of Q1.

Important - use "Inline" button to put attachment tags in the reply.

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks T&L/admin, should make some real happy. Works and was easy to figure out how to use.
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

Thanks again