TV lacking remote control...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

TV lacking remote control...

Post by Externet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 am

Hi.
Today, my TV refused to turn on with the remote. Checked/replaced its AAAs; nothing. Confirmed operation with button controls. Works. Confirmed the remote and a second remote emitting OK with a camera.

Dismantled it, marked the test points to test voltages/signals, and found it is built to not be serviceable. To probe anything, it has to be assembled and all board connectors plugged in which means back cover in place. Its only PC board is mounted inside the back cover. Back to start.

Well, thinking of buying my next TV, plugged back... and it works fine. Now no justification for a new TV :sad: .
Anyway, somehow, Murphy strikes again.

Ahh. Forum dropped my post TWICE. As ALWAYS. When the prompt to re-login is filled, note the 'login' button has NOT the same action as the one by the upper right corner. Yes, THAT one that shows you ARE logged-in.
So this stupid time-out setting thinks this is a site with lots of traffic and needs such stupid protection that we never needed before.
Obviously nobody controlling this site never posts a thing to feel it in their own flesh...

Hint : When it refuses to post and asks to log-in again; do not; instead go back, copy your text and paste it again later.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -

haklesup

Re: TV lacking remote control...

Post by haklesup » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:17 pm

"Well, thinking of buying my next TV, plugged back... and it works fine. Now no justification for a new TV :sad: .
Anyway, somehow, Murphy strikes again."

Shoulda started with the reboot, but maybe you want a new TV anyway, the 4K smart ones are reasonably priced now.

Externet

Post by Externet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, I did cycle power as first action, did not mention that.
Today, did not respond to remote again. Turned on with panel button, and after a while, obeyed the remote. Intermittent something. Perhaps I will end beating Murphy this time as cannot probe any circuit in it.

Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 am

Sounds like a unstable power supply in the set.

More than likely electrolytic capacitors in the regulator section.
These newer LSI chips require tighter voltages, and even the smallest of voltage drops, or spikes can cause them to function erratically.

Thou......
I have been seeing good prices on new televisions, so maybe get a new television.
Then take the old one, and fix the power supply and put it in your Rec-Room, Bed Room, or maybe use it as your computer's monitor.

Just a thought. :wink:

Signed: Janitor Tzap

MrAl

Post by MrAl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 am

Hi,

I had a problem with my AOC TV a while back and replace the four low voltage large value electrolytics and it worked again and continued working. The power button on the TV itself became a problem too though, it would not work every time. I had to hold it in for like 4 seconds and hope it would work. The remote worked it just find though, and i did not bother to take it apart again to fix teh power button on the TV itself.

This is probably one of those "if you feel like playing with it" problems, where you can try a few things like replacing the electro's and maybe that will work. You could just get a new one though because the new ones have better features like USB stick read, which will read some types of files on the USB stick and display on TV. The Jpg's work on mine, but maybe the newer ones can do video too now. Would like to have one that does video right from the USB stick.

PS
Your idea to hit the back button and copy text and then go log in again SAVED me the hassle of typing my post again. I would have had to type all that text above again if it were not for that. Thanks a bunch for that tip.
I have to wonder what happened to the software for this site too. It's like it went backwards.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.

Externet

Post by Externet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Janitor Tzap wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 am
... fix the power supply and put it in your Rec-Room, Bed Room, or maybe use it as your computer's monitor...
:grin: Got a couple of largish junked TVs with cracked screen... Removed the display and boards; left the white diffuser and backlights.
They are hanging flush in the ceiling giving very good light in my shop :shock:
Now I have 47" Samsung lamps... :idea: