Message Board update

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: Message Board update

Post by dacflyer »

"It is not broke! Use image tags to link to image on another server"....
i do not understand this comment ? can you explain ?
or if i understand it right...i had used Photobucket before long time ago to post stuff on a site..and then post a link to the foto on that site..
its cumbersome to do, but doable.
but would be much easier to post directly onto here like we used to be able to do..
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

dacflyer uses PhotoBucket, try there to see if it is easier than wikimedia.

Yes, that image is in a sub-directory at my site. It is for a hardware and software project I helped with. Since that is leased space (by me), I used an existing image instead of uploading something clever to show here.

Does not seem all that difficult (to me). Upload image to a server, copy URL, paste URL between img tags here.

Cheers,
Dale Y
evahle

Post by evahle »

Yes, I understand what you're saying and it's fairly easy to upload, copy and paste a link, but only if you have places in mind that'll keep the photo for very long periods of time.
The real problem here, that I see, is that most people don't know how to do any of those things.
I'm the Administrator of 7 groups on Facebook. You'd be surprised at how many people can just barely use the internet, but try so hard at it. I'd love to teach them how, but the time involved would make it impossible.
I wish I understood how websites work more than I do, so I could understand why it's so difficult to include pics and videos. I know it would have to be monitored, but I think the members here could do a good job of that. The speed of current internet would easily be fast enough to do that, and memory of course is so inexpensive today.
Maybe I'm just missing something else here.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The real problem here, that I see, is that most people don't know how to do any of those things.
((regarding posting images))True, but they won't be posiing schematics, block diagrams, or construction instructions here either (for the most part). :grin:

Putting the image at an image hosting server would be about the same difficulty as putting it directly here. And the image host will have brief instructions and the URL to put here. I'm not sure I'd want to see the images from someone who can't figure that out :sad:

Cheers,
Dale Y
evahle

Post by evahle »

Isn't that why we don't see much activity here?
If we only allow those who know how to get the photos here, I think this forum will continue to degrade.
Most of us started electronics for the fun of it I believe. I know I did. If we expect people to just jump in and already know how to use image hosting and how to master electronics, I'd think we wouldn't see people join in and improve, with us helping them to master these things.
I'm a big advocate of making electronics fun! It brings back memories of the early 80s reading and putting together some of Forrest Mims III's projects, and how I improved on them over the years.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I meant those with an electronic interest will have a tech apptitude and will figure it out. And real beginners can and will get help. The non-tech folks (not even interested) won't be here in the first place. They are not un-invited, they just will not come.

And I do not believe making it retart easy to post an image will attract anyone that would not be here anyway.
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Okay guys, I've left a post on their Facebook ( https://facebook.com/nutsvolts/ ) and here is the pertinent contact page from the N&V website. ( http://www.nutsvolts.com/faqs#ContactAE ) I will be sending out an email tomorrow to see if I can get some sort of response. Anything would be better than the response we've gotten so far.

Hopefully onward and upward.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Okay guys, I've sent out my email to the editor in hopes of sparking some interest from the higher-ups. Here's the body of my email.

"To whom it may concern,

The small, yet active, group of posters on the Nuts n Volts Forum ( T&L Publications - Index page) have had an ongoing attempt to get a response from whomever may be in charge of running / over seeing the Forum. One of the gentlemen posters have reported hearing from someone approximately 2 months ago, somewhere around the time when the message board was updated, but that person from N&V is not listed on the forum under Mods or Admins. It is apparent that no one at T&L Publications reads the forum since the multiple calls out to the admins have been ignored.

Would someone PLEASE take an interest in this tiny community in the hopes that we can foster growth. All us old (or older) timers would like to see new blood brought in. Believe it or not, we actually like discussing things "electronic".

We await the return of the admins to their roles.

Charlie ( Forum name CeaSaR)"

Note that where it says ( T&L Publications - Index page ) is where I pasted the URL to the home page here " http://forum.nutsvolts.com/ ". The Email auto-converted the link to a HTML clickable link with Alt Text and a preview below the body, just like FaceBook.
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

I hope it works!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Sean Lemieux replied to my email and I've expressed concerns and at least one or two things to be done to at least show some concern over our little corner of the 'net.

If you go up to "The Team" you'll see its been updated.

That's a start.

Haven't checked anything else or received any further replies, but at least I got that much.

As I said above, it's a start.

-CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

Yes, new administrators. Hopefully things will change now, adding photos, schematics etc?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

evahle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 pm Yes, new administrators. Hopefully things will change now, adding photos, schematics etc?
TBD.
Let's hope.
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Update:

Sean Lemieux has sent me another email to let me (and presumably through me, "you") know that they have been talking about the things I've passed on to them / him and (discerned from the text of his email) things that have been seen on the board (here). There could be some new policies (?) and a proposal of some sort.

He also wanted me (us) to know that we core group have not been forgotten or pushed to the side, as well as the rest of the board.

That's it for now.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

Thanks CeaSar, that's hopeful news!! I can't wait to start posting about my latest projects.
evahle

Post by evahle »

I tried uploading 3 photos, each with different formats (png, bmp, jpg), but still unable to upload anything. I'd like to start uploading my newest projects with solar yard light designs and modifications, which includes info on the solar light ICs, batteries and Leds. I'll be finishing up these projects soon and will be moving on to different projects. Maybe I'll be able to share this soon, I hope.