Need help with a circuit

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
1moldmaker

Need help with a circuit

Post by 1moldmaker »

I am a nubee to electronics, what I am trying to do is when I close the switch D1 will light up and it will turn off D2, but I want to is when I open the switch back up it will D1 will stay on for a couple of seconds then it will turn off and turn on D2 again, is this possible with this circuit?

Thanks
Attachments
hAIz9.png
dyarker

Re: Need help with a circuit

Post by dyarker »

Put a capacitor across the switch contacts. When the switch is closed D1 turns on, D2 off, and the capacitor is discharged. Open the switch and the capacitor starts to charge. That current keeps D1 lit, though dimmer and dimmer; and D2 gets brighter and brighter. It cannot be "snappy" because the RC time constant curve. 1000uF to 2000uF should give a couple seconds (if I can still do the math correctly :-) )

To get the delay with "snappy" on and off would take 2 transistors and 4 more resistors in a Schmitt Trigger circuit. And the timing capacitor could be smaller too!

Or, use a 555 Timer IC.

Cheers,
Dale Y
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

Thanks for the response, sorry about getting back been real busy, I tried your suggestion an you were right, the switch is slow and it has a delay when it turns back on. Do you have any suggestions where I could find a Schmitt Trigger circuit,

Thanks
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

https://www.google.com/search?q=schmitt ... 20&bih=946

eat your heart out... just did a google search ( images )
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

I did the same thing but I couldn't find any circuits that would turn one light off and turn another light on, Im not really good at electronics, what I was really looking for is that the switch wasn't so sensitive and if there was a split second interruption it wouldn't switch the other light on.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Schmitt trigger circuit. Two transistors and some parts rearranged. D2 normally on. Press S1 and D2 turns off and D1 turns on and stays on for two seconds after switch is released.
Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Steve G
Attachments
Schmitt Trigger N&V.jpg
1moldmaker

Post by 1moldmaker »

Thanks, This is exactly what I was looking for