DB25 mounting plate

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MicroRem

DB25 mounting plate

Post by MicroRem »

Good day, Gentleman!

I have a need for 20 or 30 of the DB25 mounting plates shown in the attached photo. The factory part is about 3mm thick un reinforced plastic that tends to break at the weakest point where the mounting holes are. I believe the best replacement material would be either aluminum or steel, or even glass reinforced plastic such as PC board stock.

Overall dimensions are about 62mm wide by 36 mm high with a hole cut for a female DB 25 connector.

I am hoping someone can point me towards a vendor who could do this work and is OK with the small number of parts needed. Ideally i would just ship them the original and they would scan it, then CNC the new units and ship back.

I wish i had the time and brains to learn all the CAD and CNC stuff I need to know to do this myself but this is for my company and we need to just get some parts made.

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Attachments
DB25 plate.jpg
haklesup

Re: DB25 mounting plate

Post by haklesup »

yea, for 30 pcs CNC costs might not exceed the cost of buying your own punch. The punches go for $500 and up new and almost that much even on e-bay though I do see one just under $200 right now. If you have continuous need, then get the punch and buy a bunch of blank aluminum rectangles from McMaster or another materials supplier who will do rough cutting for you.

Anodized Aluminum is your best choice, stainless steel carries a hefty machining adder due to the slow cutting speed and that it eats up bits. FR4 is not worth the effort with Al as an option as you would want inserts for the screws or nuts, the AL you can thread directly or press a PEM nut. Machining costs are about the same, material cost differ slightly. Probably cost you $200 to $400 for a lot at almost any machine shop. I would switch to anodized aluminum, black, blue or red and engraving is an option.

We can do it but you should go local, I'm not cheap or fast right now for piece parts. Our shop is busy with larger projects.

Have you looked at frontpanelexpress.com probably a little more expensive but more flexible
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I use a laser cutting shop that has done great work on aluminum and steel, but they will not cut plastics due to the toxicity of the fumes. There is another service I use for plastics that is equally as good.
Hundreds of aluminum plates and acrylic discs have been cut without any issues. Usually they require a DXF drawing, or there is a fee for him to draw it for you.
If you are interested, PM me and I'll send the contact information, or I can post it if there are other requests.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Thanks, Folks! Let me digest the information and I will do some more research. Again thanks a bunch.
Tom
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

OK, I went to Front Panel Express and downloaded the design program. I have to say, I have zero experience with CAD and although I didn't complete my drawing quickly or efficiently, I did complete it. Ordered 20 units made of 3mm anodized aluminum. Cost was quite reasonable I think. Thanks everyone for the input. I expect to receive the parts in a week or two and will update.

Tom
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Received my parts on Friday. I am absolutely impressed with the quality, precision and timeliness of my order. I got exactly what I needed for a very fair price. Thanks everyone for the help. I heartily recommend Front panel Express to anyone needing thnings that are in their wheelhouse!

Best to all,

Tom