two quickie questions;

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bernius1

two quickie questions;

Post by Bernius1 »

A) I found a Baldwin P-61 tube organ ( 30-12au7's, 18-12ax7's, 2-6L6's, & a 5U4GB). More valuable whole, or in parts ?
B) I acquired a 'retired' guy's stash.(R.I.P.) Lots of Heath xistors & IC's (417#'s,442#'s,443#'s). ECG992 (a quad 741), & an LM566, & several 4066 bi-lat switches. (also a few 4136 quad '741' op-amps; popular?). I want to build a function generator; LM566 for sq.& triangle, & quad 741 looped as a quadrature osc. (sine), with 4066 used for range select ( R's & C's). Any pitfalls I should anticipate?? Seems straight-fwd to me. I'm too cheap to buy an ICL8038, & I need the design exercise. Thanks !!
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
haklesup

Re: two quickie questions;

Post by haklesup »

I don't know specifically about the organ but my experience says that the parts are generally worth more than the whole, on paper. Once you start selling them, the extra effort of finding additional buyers, the time and cost for shipping more items and the effort to find better venues to sell may start to outweigh the extra cash. <p>Electron tubes do sell well on ebay (especially ones used in transmitters and audio amplifiers) but that might make just about every other part of the organ worthless. You should be able to observe (on ebay) the average sell price for those tubes in about a week or two to get that end of the equasion. If you're lucky someone else might be selling a similar organ for comparison. You could always try selling the organ with a reserve price at least as high as what you think you can get for the tubes. This will tell you exactly what people are willing to pay and it will only cost you a few bucks.<p>My only advice for B is that if you plan to have this function generator operate at high freqencies (>~1MHz), you will need to be more careful with your PCB design. Use a ground plane and watch out for crosstalk and stray impedance that will distort the waveform.<p>It may be beyond your budget but I have noticed a sharp reduction in prototype PCB prices lately. The lowest I have seen (pcbnet) is 5 boards, 2-layer plus shipping for about $85 ($15/per board)with 1 week turn time. That includes silkscreen and soldermask, most other low prices do not.
viveguy

Post by viveguy »

If it was a Hammond B3 with the Leslie,it would be worth more whole.Trying to find a home for an organ nowadays is tough.
Gut it and scrap it I say.But keep the power amplifier chassis.
BTW how much?
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

417#'s,442#'s,443#'s? HTL? Or is that RTL? Keep 'em as souvenirs from the '60s, along with your Humphrey bumper stickers. Eventually they might be worth something.
30-12au7's, 18-12ax7's, 2-6L6's, & a 5U4GB. These are fairly common tubes -- you probably aren't sitting on a gold mine with them. Think in terms of getting the organ going, if it's not working. Also, you might want to try
Antique Electronic Supply
out in Arizona if you need replacement tubes. Their catalog is worth the price, or it's free with an order (I think). Stay away from Richardson Electronics, unless you have a spare arm and leg. They're good, sole source on a lot of new tubes, and very expensive.<p>[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Foley ]</p>
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Believe it or not, I have an OLD ECG x-over, which lists some Heath #'s, and I found a list on the web which had a better x-over. Mostly op-amps & TV IF decoders. As far as the tubes, a co-worker wants some, but if you need some,I'm sure I can send them. But I'd imagine the 2)6L6's are the coveted items. Cost? None. I'm in it for fun & personal improvement. Thanks for the opinions.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
viveguy

Post by viveguy »

I would surely trade some things with you.I may be able to set you up with some IC's or a chassis.<p>I would be interested in some tubes although,I don't usually go in for used power tubes.BTW,do you still have the chassis?
7474back2backcrashes

Post by 7474back2backcrashes »

Send it to David Letterman and let him throw it off a tall building. That seems like about all the spare time I get to play around with stuff anymore. :(