About Vizio again!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

About Vizio again!

Post by Lenp »

We have a 2 year old 47" Vizio LED with a back light problem. Vertically centered, from left to right edge the back light is out so the picture is dimmer in that center area. A replacement set was shipped from Square Trade, under the warranty since they do not repair the panels, and they do not want the old set back!

I have not exchanged the sets yet so I have not been into the problem first handed. I have not located a schematic but from a YouTube video of a similar set I see the back light is a strip of LED's and It appears that there is an inverter that feeds them I cannot determine yet if there is more than one inverter, and it seems that the the LED assembly was probably made by LG. Electronics.

Has anybody gone down this path before, and if so, where are the potholes!

Thanks
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Re: About Vizio again!

Post by haklesup »

I haven't had any backlights fail on me but I am aware that there are many inverter boards available in eBay for repair purposes. better than even odds its just an electrolytic capacitor, this still appears to be the dominant failure mode in TVs today.

Since they are giving you a new one, you have nothing to lose poking around.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Yes, 'lytics are a common issue, especially on low end motherboards. (Like HP!)
Since there are two rows of backlites that are still running, If it is an inverter problem, there must be more than one inverter, or the inverter has multiple outputs. Shortly I'll swap the sets and report on the autopsy! :cool:
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Is this the same Visio as the entertaining entertainment system thread? Didn't seem so. I'd say, you haven't had much luck with sets from them, at least the warranty works. Since they are virtually the lowest cost value brand, that's not surprising.

Ironically caps could also have lead to the other failure by allowing noise to enter the power supply for the digital chips and resulted in random things happening.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi,
No this a different set. We have a total of 4 Vizio's
I am pleased with their price and picture quality, and....That's why I added the extended warranty!
Through Square Trade it was less than $70 for the big set for 4 years, repair/replace. So after 2 years, at $17.50/year, I had it replaced, and still have 2 more years on the warranty
Plus they replaced it with a newer model, and didn't want the old one returned.
So the score is... 2 down, 2 to go! :???:
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Doesn't sound too bad and you actually got to use that warranty. I bought a higher end Samsung and when the warranty ran out, they sent me offers to extend it that amounted to buying a low end model yearly. in 4-5 years I would have paid for the set again, laughable.

Your warranty was serviced by a 3rd party probably not even associated with Visio, they likely had nowhere to send it to be fixed anyway after the MFR 1 year expired.

A lot of people forget this but many gold and platinum credit cards will double manufacturer warranties for items you purchase on these cards. Difference is who you call when it breaks.

Personally I never buy extended warranties, I have almost never used a warranty even for my car. I used to sell them when I sold Cameras in college though, best commission item I could sell.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Len.
Reposting, as my response is now lost in space after submitting. Board asked to log in again and wiped all reply out. Normal misbehavior with N&V.

In short words, I do not think inverters are used in LED backlit televisions. They may have a dimmer-driver; but inverters are for fluorescent tubes.

Twice I made narrow LED strips for tubes replacement. Painful but worked, when there is no replacement kits.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Good point, I totally glossed over that. Since LEDs are usually implemented in a series/parallel array, you are probably looking for an open diode or contact in a branch rather than a failed driver circuit
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I stand corrected, Power supply would be more appropriate nomenclature!.
Online I think I found the power supply and it has LED1, LED2 marked at a pin header, so maybe it isn't the backlight assembly after all.

Time will tell.
Len

Externet

Post by Externet »

Now I remember part of the wiped out text originally replied.

In units I 'upgraded' from fluorescent to LEDs, I discarded the inverters and used the internal 12VDC supply directly as the strips are 12V.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

These apparently are series strings of LED's A-La Christmas lights. A YouTube Video says to expect 100V to the LED strips normally, much higher if the strip is bad since the power supply is unloaded.

After this weekend I expect to get it's back off!
Len

gunter

Post by gunter »

Message Deleted
Always treat every repair as if it was your own.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

You'll need to open up the television to get the part number off of the screen piece first.

Then search E-bay, or Amazon for the replacement using the part number.
The price can vary.
From $69 for a used one, too close to $200 for a new one.
Just make sure the part numbers match.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
gunter

Post by gunter »

Message Deleted
Always treat every repair as if it was your own.
Lenp

Requiem!

Post by Lenp »

We let this defunct Vizio run without attempted
repair. In a few weeks another single LED backlight went out. Then...weeks later they all were out. A total backlight failure. (Image is visible using a flashlight) It looks like this is the weak point of the design.

Probably the repair will be several LED strips and the controller/inverter/power supply?

Is it worth the cost, possibly not.
No, we are not watching it with flashlights! :razz:
Len