Where to buy vintage multilayer MY103P 50V capacitors?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Questor

Where to buy vintage multilayer MY103P 50V capacitors?

Post by Questor »

I own an older Pioneer SX-3700 stereo receiver that has a blown ceramic disc capacitor used for audio input. Where can I buy a few of these correct "M Y 103P" replacement capacitors? I searched the Internet for a 50V 103P or MY103P capacitors and none were found through Search Engines or major electronics suppliers. I prefer not to buy a broken stereo receiver to search for a single small capacitor!

The blown capacitor is a multilayer "M Y 103P" 50V (?ceramic?) disc capacitor, encased in blue vinyl, 19mm diameter, with 2 wire leads. No OEM manufacturer name of the capacitor is printed on the capacitor.

The OEM Service Manual & Schematics for the SX-3700 Stereo Receiver only list the OEM part number with no specs or further info.

Any suggestions where I could buy the correct "M Y 103P" part replacements would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Steve
Joseph

Re: Where to buy vintage multilayer MY103P 50V capacitors?

Post by Joseph »

That reminds me of the relatively large disc capacitors that I used to see soldered to the power switches of the 70s and early the 80s era audio equipment. The blue vinyl sleeve on them wasn't opaque. Those capacitors I'm thinking of are rated for much higher voltage than 50vdc since they are required to be connected across the power line. That might explain the "Y" designation on yours. If that is the case, it might help to look in old junk equipment. I have some of that type of old inoperative audio stuff that I should give a new home to someday.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Oh, I see now the capacitor was used for audio input.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Not a big deal just about any .01uf capacitor should work, but here's a link to a ceramic cap from Digikey. Use the First Class USPS for the lowest cost shipping option.

My question is if the audio input cap is "blown" what else might be wrong?

Steve G

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/818377
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I experienced axial ceramic capacitors being mechanically fragile where the leads break off easily, especially if they get too hot when soldering.

That was a good thing to think about concerning what else got blown besides the capacitor. Probably at least an op amp that the signal goes to next, got blown.
Questor

Post by Questor »

SGHIOTO, What is the advantage of using a MY103P multilayer Axial disc capacitor rated at 50V over a standard ceramic 103P at .01mf?

I wonder if the .01mf 103P has a lower MTBF and will burn out more quickly or require frequent replacement....

Regards, Steve
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Steve,

No advantage that I know of. Just what is available. Like I said It should not be a big deal, it's just an audio input coupling cap.

Steve G
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"What is the advantage of using a MY103P multilayer Axial disc capacitor rated at 50V over a standard ceramic 103P at .01mf?"

If you wanted a historically accurate unit there would be a great advantage, however electrically speaking, I'm sure you can use a range of modern substitutions. The modern Cap probably works better in that it probably has lower leakage and other desirable specs than something made in the 70s.

By the way, most caps are multilayer regardless of materials.