Self entertaining, entertainment system!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Self entertaining, entertainment system!

Post by Lenp »

Since the title caught you here it goes.

I bought a new Vizio E32-C1 'smart' TV, just over a month ago so the warranty is still in force.
It is connected to the digital antenna feed, HDMI and wifi inputs, and lately it has formed the bad habit of entertaining itself by turning on, at will. There is no 'auto on' menu setting but the best part is that when this happens, the remote has no control! It needs a power down to gain control again.

I talked to Vizio and they say "It may be a wifi issue" but they cannot tell me any circumstance or condition that would turn on the set for this unique command performance. I think I got the classic Techn-no-go-away answer but I agreed anyway to try it for awhile, off line, to see what happens. I am quite sure it is more insidious than a wifi issue but we'll give it a go.

The real aggravating part of the problem is, I don't like the shows IT chooses!

Opinions, comments or chuckles appreciated!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Robert Reed

Re: Self entertaining, entertainment system!

Post by Robert Reed »

You are experiencing the definition of HI TECHNOLOGY-

"Something that does not work quite right yet!"
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Robert Reed wrote:You are experiencing the definition of HI TECHNOLOGY-

"Something that does not work quite right yet!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one Robert!

I've seen a lot of strange things with remotes and Televisions.

Voltage spikes that will cause the TV to turn on, and go to some random channel.
And yeah,
The only way to get it to function again was too unplug it, and or use the Reset button. :roll:
Most of the new Televisions make a big thing about putting it on a good surge protector.

I found some IR remotes would activate different functions on TV's, VCR's, etc....
Than the model or brand it was made for.

One of the strangest was the sun light coming in through a stained glass window,
causing the TV to turn on. :roll:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

And here I thought today's definition of Hi-Technology was:
"The computer model says it has no flaws, let's put it into production."

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

All technology can be resolved to just two categories: Obsolete and under development!
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

if it weren't for the lockup, I'd suggest your neighbor got the same model but likes different shows. Or maybe you're butt dialing it from a Wi-Fi app :) .

What kind of options do you have in the OSD menus for WiFi, can you reconfigure or turn it off?

Sounds like the kind of WAG you get from tech support when the real answer is your set is defective sir or we have a crappy sensitive design here

you can at least eliminate extraneous IR remote signals as a cause by covering the IR window for a few days to see if the problem persists. You'll have to compensate by tuning manually or unblocking the window periodically.

Just turn down the volume before powering off for goodness sake or you may be woke by the shopping network
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

if it weren't for the lockup, I'd suggest your neighbor got the same model but likes different shows. Or maybe you're butt dialing it from a Wi-Fi app :)
No neighbors within any IR distance, no apps and no other sets nearby that could interfere.

What kind of options do you have in the OSD menus for WiFi, can you reconfigure or turn it off?
Yes, WiFi can be disabled from OSD

Sounds like the kind of WAG you get from tech support when the real answer is your set is defective sir or we have a crappy sensitive design here
So far it has not entertained itself again but it only happens occasionally! Next time they will be pressed to replace it.

you can at least eliminate extraneous IR remote signals as a cause by covering the IR window for a few days to see if the problem persists. You'll have to compensate by tuning manually or unblocking the window periodically.
Yes, I can block the window but I doubt the IR is the issue.

Just turn down the volume before powering off for goodness sake or you may be woke by the shopping network
If that happens, the set might have an accident!
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

Ha! That is entertaining Len!
We're all technical people here, so have you considered.......
ghosts?
:shock:
WA2RBA
gerty

Post by gerty »

Is it still acting up ? You don't, by any chance have a cat that jumps up on the coffee table, do you?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

So far the set has been behaving properly but it always was erratic doing this. It's about a 6 weeks old and did it 4 times.
Yes, we do have a cat but I am sure he's not part of the problem because the programs that come on are not his favorites! :???:
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Final wrap up.
Vizio sent a tech to repair it. He arrived with two boards, one was the power board and the other was all the rest. He only changed the power board, since he was so confident that was the problem. Two days later, the midnight movies started again. Vizio has since replaced the set with a slightly newer model and so far WE have been in complete control!
AhHa Technology at it's best!
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

Ah yes, the old Air Force solution: "R & R" (Remove and Replace). Usually effective, unless your new device has the same problem as the old one. (sigh)
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi Jwax
Yes, he only R&R'd one board so it was not fixed.
I should have sent him out for a can of propwash and 100 ft of flight line. :shock:
48th TFW/48th A&E
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

Nice one, Len!
366 TFW, also 366 A&E
Aircraft Radio Repair
:smile:
WA2RBA
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

Lenp wrote:they say "It may be a WiFi issue"
In any diagnostics, reduction of variables is the key. :smile:

I would start by doing some google searches for your TV model number and the symptoms see if someone else has had the problem and solved it. Replicate their solve or add to their thread. :) You can also look for a firmware upgrade. Many new gear has firmware that corrects issues and bugs. My Denon 1613 AV receiver for example has firmware upgrades that fixed a number of annoyances. :)

If those steps don't pan out, I would then start by disabling any and all functions other than whatever is *required* to simply watch the TV shows you like to watch. For example, turn OFF the WiFi radio in the set or at the very least lock your WiFi access point and do not give the TV the password. If there is an option to switch the Ethernet off altogether, then do that. That should allow you to know if it is a 'WiFi problem".

Next, I would find the IR receiver and cover it with a piece of electrical tape and make sure it is opaque to IR. This would rule out other IR signals from being the cause. (granted you will have to pull the tape or turn the TV on off manually, but it should only require that inconvenience for a short while till the problem does/doesn't manifest.

Lastly, I would go into the menu and turn off any and all "smart" features.. timers, sleep timers, auto records, internet connectivity like YouTube etc. really dig in the menu structure and choose NO/OFF/DISABLE for any ad all "extra" features.

After doing all the above, does the things still do the weird stuff? If no, then you can re enable things one by one over time till the problem returns. When it does, you know the culprit and can take steps from there.
Lenp wrote:warranty is still in force.
This is good to have as a final fix. :) Of course, the simpler route might be to return the set for a new one. If the new one does the same things, return the set for a refund and find a different model or brand of set that has good solid reviews from verified sources.

Hope this helps :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner