Self entertaining, entertainment system!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Re: Self entertaining, entertainment system!

Post by Lenp »

Hi all
The set has Rf, HDMI,Composite inputs, wired and wireless network, and audio out.There is a sleep function
but no timer or alarm. The set was in an upstairs bedroom, windows curtained and we are remote from other houses. The last setting was RF only, network and all other inputs unused.

Remeber when it turned on there was no control from the remote or the back of set power swirch. This to me sounds just like a processor crash. A first I considered pushed upgrades but it still happened off the net.

If it was a had failure like a power switching device the remote should have still operated and disconnecting power should not have healed it.

Actually, I couldn'the return the set because it was over 90 days so the one year Vizio warranty replaced it.

It's gone. Only the mystery remains!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Lenp

Re: Self entertaining, entertainment system! (CLOSURE)

Post by Lenp »

Set was replaced, new set has NOT turned itself on in 6 weeks+...
So, If you buy a 'factory referb' 32 inch Vizio that turns itself on...You'll know where it came from! :smile:
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Time for another 'Vizio Smart Set' bash...

Main set, stumbles all over the YouTube app. Hangs up, stalls during search and often switches to HDMI #1 mid-video!
All other sets and Roku are on the same wireless network and have virtually no issues.
I might put a pull chain switch with a log string on the power cord so can I have 'Remote Boot' since it often needs to be cold started to fix it.

Bedroom set, in spite of board changes in warranty, it still turns itself on occasionally. The remote control os useless, only a power off fixes it.
It's rather amusing!

The shop set stopped responding to any remote signal excepy the on button. All boards and the IR sensor were changed so this seems to have fixed this problem, but occasionaly a cold start is needed when it gets stupid.

Kitchen set is least used but is stable, for now.

Ah yes, technology at it's finest
Note: There will be no more enpty Vizio boxes in my trash in the future!
Len

Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Len.
For your peace of mind, watch if your misbehaving equipment is or is not nearby any cell phone. They report to their tower often, unattended, emitting interfering signals. Confirm if all phones are on or off when weird things happen to eliminate or suspect interactions... :shock:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Externet >> you mentioned >>cell phone. They report to their tower often, unattended.

My tablet does this even when i have the data turned off.. i know it does transmit data, because i hear it thru my speakers when the tablet is near it.
i guess it needs to phone home every once in a while.. i use the wifi on it usually. rarely the data unless i am somewhere there is no wifi..
Electronics are slowly taking over the world...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

with data turned off, it disables WiFi but not necessarily Cellular pings, you would need to go to airplane mode for that.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

The thing with the Cell ping is that it usually only affects poorly shielded input cables nearby. If the ping would cause interference of the kind that is intimated, there would be serious problems with their FCC compliance, moreso with the TV than the phone. The standard cell ping has been around for so much longer than the computerized parts in the Vizio brand, even the brand itself.
Hey, what do I know?
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
I mentioned the cell phone not only with its possible interaction with the television, but confirmed misbehavior with a TV remote control sleeping on the same table as the phone. :shock:
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Sounds like a poor design or actual design flaw with said remote. What brand was it, if I may ask?
Hey, what do I know?
Externet

Post by Externet »

Westinghouse.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

haklesup >> with my tablet, if the data is turned off ( cell service ) th wifi still works fine.. but with the data turned off, i can still here the data every few min or so ( pinging ? ), if it is laying next to my computer speakers. but if i turn it to airplane mode ( same as wifi and data being turned off ? )
then nothing will function.. i just find it curious that the tablet is still contacting the cell tower even if data is turned off.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:03 am haklesup >> with my tablet, if the data is turned off ( cell service ) th wifi still works fine.. but with the data turned off, i can still here the data every few min or so ( pinging ? ), if it is laying next to my computer speakers. but if i turn it to airplane mode ( same as wifi and data being turned off ? )
then nothing will function.. i just find it curious that the tablet is still contacting the cell tower even if data is turned off.
Your forgetting that every Phone/Pad has GPS built in to them.
I've looked into this a bit, and some of the older phones had settings to turn off the GPS, or only activate it when it was an emergency.
Otherwise it stays active all the time.
Don't know if the newer phones even have this option available.
But the only sure way too keep hackers from knowing where you are, or spying with the Mic, or watching you with the camera.
Remove The Battery.
{Though this is getting harder to do, since the manufacturers are not designing the phones too have easy access to the battery.}

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

my location thingie can be turned off, not sure if that is the GPS thing, or if my tablet even has a GPS.
i can't make any calls with it..but i know it has a Microphone and Camera.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

For the thinkers about cell phone interference...It changes with nobody at home. We are in a rural area so no one else is even close by!
I'll just bet this set was made at the end of October.. the 31st to be more precise.
If it wasn't a great set otherwise there would be a bullseye painted on the screem! (not mispelled)
Len

Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here is some listed things you can try for TV's that want to be "Turned On". :lol:
https://www.lifewire.com/fix-tv-turns-o ... lf-4685838

One of the things mentioned was; "Low Batteries" can cause the remote to signal the TV to Power On.

I've not come across this issue.
Just the one when batteries are low, the remote would sometimes send out a garbled signal of the button you pressed.
Thus, causing the set to shut off, turning up\down the sound, change the channel, or activate some other function.

Thou.....
Vizio's have been notorious for all sorts of failures, from LED Back-Lights burning out,
too Power Supplies frying, and defective main chipsets.

Signed: Janitor Tzap