Is the forum going down?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Is the forum going down?

Post by Lenp »

It sure looks like the moderators have 'moderated' their involvement!
(Polite way of saying they jumped ship.)
If they want to be inactive, they should pass the spear......
I guess there's a message there!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Re: Is the forum going down?

Post by dacflyer »

i agree....this forum is slowly dieing :(
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i think i am going to have to start searching for a new forum, this one has gotten so slow it is all but dead now..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Sadly, it is nearly dead.

Plenty of other -about a dozen- electronics forums, but none with the friendly atmosphere of few appreciated members that has continued together, (minus some thinning) trough the forced migration from the initial PopularElectronics forum and subsequent ones since like 20+ years ago.

But feels like it is not only the unmoderation or N&V abandonment. We have already talked about sooo much in 20+ years that we ran out of subjects. And barely any newcomers.
Hope to find you somewhere else if you decide to explore other places. I have made valuable friends here, and appreciate all for what they are.

In some other forums, you will find a competitive environment and ego supremacies that can be a different terrain starting as novice.

As I attempted years ago, it would be good for any moderator (or N&V) to save the entire server history of this forum on CD and make it somehow available as archive on the web before we are kicked out from here.

Miguel :sad:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well if i do find something else, i'll be sure to let you all know..i'll stick around..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

This board is starting to look more like a chat line than a forum. :sad:
One day I expect to get the "404 error...page not found!
Len

Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Len.

Yours, from 3 years ago, when decline was already evident : ----> http://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16824

If this goes belly up, hope to see you guys at EDA, Electrotech, All About circuits, Electronics Point, Electronics Lab, EEV blog, EPE...
Am using the same 'call sign' there, and others lurk there for a while.
Miguel
VernGraner

I'm (we're) not dead! :D

Post by VernGraner »

Hey Folks!

We're still here, we've just been content enough with the civility and comportment of the regular contributors on the forum that we haven't felt the need to jump in and throw our weight around. :grin:

I think the frequency of posts and the general pace of the forum reflects the Internet diversity now available to folks that are interested in electronics. Between mailing lists, usenet feeds, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, podcasts, Google+, Hangouts, Yahoo groups, Skype, Meetups and the like, folks have to divide their time amongst the options that provide them with the best return on their time. Many still participate here, but maybe not so often.. sometimes just reading and not having time to chime in on a given topic.

As such, you may have noticed a drop in the frequency of use by some members or find the participate in fewer threads. That being said, we still see a fairly good amount of traffic to the forum and new members signing on (even if they are simply lurking) and we also see log entries showing that the forums here are searched almost as often now as they were a couple years ago. :smile:

Personally, I can't tell you how many times I have heard that some thing or other is "dead". Print is "dead". Apple is "dead". Facebook is "dead" The internet is "dead"! :shock: In all these cases, it is more like the famous scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail..

Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead!
[A large man appears with a (seemingly) dead man over his shoulder]
Large Man: Here's one.
Dead Collector: Nine pence.
"Dead" Man: I'm not dead.
Dead Collector: What?
Large Man: Nothing. [hands the collector his money] There's your nine pence.
"Dead" Man: I'm not dead!
Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man: Yes he is.
"Dead" Man: I'm not.
Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
"Dead" Man: I'm getting better.
Large Man: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
"Dead" Man: I don't want to go on the cart.
Large Man:' Oh, don't be such a baby.
Dead Collector: I can't take him.
"Dead" Man: I feel fine.
Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.
Dead Collector: I can't.
Large Man: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
Large Man: Well, when's your next round?
Dead Collector: Thursday.
"Dead" Man: I think I'll go for a walk.
Large Man: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
"Dead" Man: I feel happy. I feel happy.

I feel happppyyy!! :smile: Ok, so all kidding aside, I am always interested in ideas and feedback so if you want to get in touch, drop me an email at vern at nutsvolts dotcom. :)

Vern

Vern Graner
V.P. of Operations, T & L Publications, Inc.
Nuts & Volts Magazine | SERVO Magazine
--
Vern Graner
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Vern >>> you got any fix for the forums not reloading the pages properly after posting ?
the page usually just goes into a white oblivion...you have to reload the page or hit the back button to get the forum in again..you can see my other post about it here..
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello again,

It is nice to hear that the forum will survive. A lot of people worried when ETO got sold a while back but that worked out ok too. Maybe a few software issues, that's about it.
The only thing i noticed was that white screen after a post too. Not sure what that is about as that never used to happen. Probably an easy fix :-)

I seems to me in each forum members have different views that they like to share, and that is good diversity i think. But we dont want to loose any forums in the process :-)

Take care guys...
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi Vern,

Glad to see you again!
Is there any fix for the failure of the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' feature?
I haven't gotten a email since forever from either the posts or PM's. My profile looks right.

Is anyone else having this issue???

Thanks,
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

Love the Monty Python reference Vern! :grin:

Cool idea to maintain our "callsign" if we visit other forums, so we can identify "T&L" people!
WA2RBA
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

dacflyer wrote:Vern >>> you got any fix for the forums not reloading the pages properly after posting ?
the page usually just goes into a white oblivion...you have to reload the page or hit the back button to get the forum in again..you can see my other post about it here..
I've not seen the behavior you are describing but I have noted the issue and will raise it with the web team.
--
Vern Graner
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

VernGraner wrote:
dacflyer wrote:Vern >>> you got any fix for the forums not reloading the pages properly after posting ?
I've not seen the behavior you are describing but I have noted the issue and will raise it with the web team.
Ok. Now I've seen the behavior- when I clicked "submit" on the above post! :???: Looking in to it and see if I can get some news on this asap.. sorry for the issues..

Vern
--
Vern Graner
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Vern.
If something has been fixed about the blank page; the need to log-in twice is back !

After typing a post and submitting, tells that 'you are not logged-in', and the contents is lost. A waste of effort.
Together with the message need of repeating logging-in, the upper right corner does show being 'logged' ¿?
Miguel