Keurig Coffee Maker

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Keurig Coffee Maker

Post by Lenp »

I am sure most of us know about those famous Keurig 'K' cup machines.
But did you know the new Keurig 2.0 versions, that make a cup or a pot, are different, and notice I didn't say better!

These new machines restrict you to using ONLY the new 'K' cups, that have a white ring around the top of the cup. Apparently there is an RFID chip in the cup, and without it, the machine will not brew the coffee. Even the older genuine K cups will not work.

Although their advertisement says "....has interactive technology that enables the brewer to recognize the inserted pack and optimize to the recommended, customized setting for that particular beverage" it may really be a pathetic attempt by Keurig to recapture the coffee market being lost to the knock-offs.

Online there are several videos to defeat this system but they all involve using part of the top of a 'authorized' K Cup over a generic one to fool the system.

So here's a open field to gain hacker fame. I'm thinking...open the unit up and park the RFID chip right next to the sensor so it always sees it. Unless the software looks for a no chip/chip sequence, that may work. People are returning them and it looks like the price of these new machines is dropping as the bad word on them is getting around. When they become give away priced is the time to get one and see what makes it tick!

Ahhh...Technology at it's finest
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Re: Keurig Coffee Maker

Post by haklesup »

While I agree some component of the design may be in making their k cups more proprietary to garner a greater market share, that may have just been a happy coincidence for them and one that is ultimately short lived. These new machines also have the capability of varying pressure and temperature in order to make more brews (at least I surmise from a commercial I saw, I did no research in writing this post). In this sense, it seems like they are trying to make variable brew coffee machines more foolproof. To be able to make true espresso, latte and various regular coffee in one machine seems a little innovative

Do they still have new machines compatible with the old cups? It won't be long before the aftermarket figures out how to encode the RFID tags. Hope you don't have too large a stock of the old ones.

Looks like a Vinyl vs CD like debate is brewing
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Your not the only one venting about the new Keurig 2.0.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/10/09/ ... mpetitors/

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Maybe there really is the eternal search for the ultimate cup of Java but if that is the real Intent there could have been a 'bypass' option. (One line of code?)

Yes there still are models available that could care less about the cups. I also found that the rights (patent or copyright) on their 'K' cup design expired in the last year or so hence the proliferation of 'K' like cups. I am sure the new RFID idea is also now protected so there will probably be some delay before the clones catch up. If the Gen-U-Whine K cups had competitive selection and pricing the sting might not be too bad. By the way the universal k cup you use for your own blend also doesn't work in the new machines.

Guess this is just a page from the printer/cartridge school of business economics!

Side note: Disney has RFID chips in their refillable drink cups that stops the 'free' refill at the end of your prepaid plan....

Footnote: With all the online bleating about this I'll bet it gets properly hacked pretty soon.
It's such an irresistible challenge!
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"Guess this is just a page from the printer/cartridge school of business economics!"

It actually started with Shaving Razors, thanks Gillette. "give them the handle, Sell them the blade"
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Really? In my opinion, those K-cup machines and their cups are a massive waste of money and recyclable resources, plus the fact that most of the coffees are rather disgusting. If I can buy a 28-32 oz container of coffee for 8-12 bucks that makes well over 100 - 6 oz cups that I find superior in quality, what makes the "Keurig" type machines so much better? What do you get for 10 bucks in the K-cups? 10-12 cups? Yeah, great deal there. AND, some of the best coffee I drink is when I am camping and it is perc'd next to the open fire.

I will never understand this one.

<Opinion over>

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

We could debate the quality of a cup of that black stuff forever with the same passion as religion and politics!

Ever make 'hobo' coffee?
Boil water in pot with ground coffee. After a "while" remove from heat, let it set, then slowly pour a cup of cold water on the top. The cold water sinks and the grounds go to the bottom. Ladle the finished coffee slowly from the top of the pot. Simple physics with no hi tech gear required!
NOTE: "while" is a technical term for when you think it is ready!
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Never done actual hobo coffee, but did boil and strain it many years ago when between coffee makers. And there are a number of "machine" types in this house, perc, drip, french press, italian pressure, and even an espresso machine (neice has the Keurig, but that is stowed away) in all different sizes ranging from the single cup to over 60 cup urn. I guess it is that I am just not impressed by what I would term as a long term fad. I guess it's okay if you like the convenience and are living in the instant gratification world, and don't mind spending that kind of money...

But again, that is my opinion.

Back to the matter at hand. RFID in the K-cups. I wonder how long it will be before some cottage industry springs up to reclaim the materials used to make the RFID chips in those millions upon millions of landfill bound cups. Because it does add up, after all. And all to make a proprietary cup of coffee.

(Thought for the day)

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I have been searching around a bit and I found a few places that refer to some proprietary ink/color/pattern instead of RFID for the new cups. Someone needs to do a cup autopsy!
Len

jwax

Post by jwax »

WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Looks like a Pick-A-Hack contest!
I guess Keurig is not too happy about the developments with their 'Improved' model...
There a ton of hacks online that use a cut out ring from a valid k-cup or a magnet to fool the machine to think a pot sized pouch was installed.
The hacker community prevails ....
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I wonder of the new Keurig's are 'also smart' or did they learn from that 'product improvement' ?
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Update on Keurig:The wire cut DRM hack a year plus later, still works without fail to brew any cup or dispense hot water.

WARNING: On the models that can use a carafe, the lower piercing needle is hung out in space on a small arm, since it swings away when the larger carafe cup is used. It is fragile and can break if the cover is closed with a snap, or if it just ages.

The whole brew cup is available as a repair part for $30, but some thin sheet metal reinforcement and J-B Weld reinforced our broken needle, likely better than the original. It takes a bit of doing and patience but it's better than $30 for the same weakly designed replacement!
The first sign of this needle problem was some cups don't bottom pierce. If the arm is cracked it flexes with some tougher cups and it doesn't cut the cup bottom. If you do this fix, consider sharpening the needle point a bit to make it pierce easier!

I don't think the non-carafe models are made this way, since the lower needle does not need to move!
Len

Lenp

Keurig Coffee Maker tip

Post by Lenp »

Remember, if the brewer makes short cups, the most likely problem is a clogged lower needle. The machine works on a timed cycle and a clog slows down the flow since the back pressure increases. A quick check is to cut the bottom out of a used brew cup and run a cycle to check the water level. If good, it's most likely the needle, if not suspect the machine pump or clogged lines. To clean the needle just pop the brew basket out and clean the needle bore with a straightened paper clip. If you brew hot chocolate, or sweertened drinks, it is more likely to clog since the brew dries sticky in the needle bore. Descaling usually doesn't do much if your water quality is good.
Hundreds of cups and it's still running! DRM....Ha
Len