Phantom Files

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Phantom Files

Post by haklesup »

Here is a weird one. Has anyone ever seen an instance where files copied onto a PC are visible from the OS like windows explorer but then invisible to the program that is supposed to use them. This program can create files in the folder with the copied files and even read those new files but cannot open or even display the copied files in its browser.

I'm sure no one has used the software I am using so I am asking in the most generic sense. have you ever heard of a security setting that can cause this. In this case, there are only 2 HP laptops that display this behavior. every place else the software is installed it works normally.
gerty

Re: Phantom Files

Post by gerty »

Are all versions of the software in the different computers the same version?
Are the file extensions of the "phantom files" the same as the non phantom files?
Right now, that's all I got.....
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Three thoughts:

1. The AV on the HPs is flagging the files, possibly due to the extension, and not allowing the program to access them.

2. The HPs are seeing the files as system files and not allowing them to be accessed by the program.

3. The files are write protected.

That's all I have at the moment.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Versions should not matter

Already checked for write protection, in the past that's caused similar appearing issues, I checked for other oddball attributes too but will look again for system file type, also check the AV program settings (though they use this elsewhere with no conflict)

I get some hands on with this PC tomorrow, I hope to find more clues and more about the AV installed. Up to now I have only had remote access. This program's file system is unique, it has an indexing/translating layer that allowed long file names (in its own browser) as far back as win 3.0 and has never been a problem in this way. Now that layer is passive showing the same names in the OS as the browser, its probably at the root of the problem.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Any update?

Reread your initial question and thought of a possible problem with LFNBK or some similar long file name program. I know 95 & 98 had it, but unsure after that. Also, I've seen some files have double extensions that would wreak havoc with reading files. The only way to truly find them would be to go into the defaults and enable "View All File Extensions" (my preference anyway) and all would be "revealed".

Just another thought...

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Progress is incremental. We make this software so I have source code, the problem is on a customer PC who can't just lend it to me so I can't debug it directly or try many experiments. I was able to verify that other programs can open the imported files. I'm focused on how the AV might be preventing the key file system index files from updating correctly.

They had full time scan turned on but all AV settings were IT locked so I couldn't turn it off. My customer has a list of things to try.

We have one leg in old code I am looking forward to retiring but the new code is still a year or more away from replacing all the functions.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hmmm, could be some oddball permission set up by IT for external copied files vs. native created files.

Try this: take one of the native files, move it to another directory on the same local drive, then copy it back to your original spot and see if that works. Then move it off of the drive/machine completely and then copy it back and test again. Maybe move that file between 2 or 3 drives/machines
before copying it back to see if it is still affected.

It's worth a shot, might provide a clue, and should take a competent person less than 5 minutes to accomplish, depending on file size and how long it takes for your software to respond.

Next thought: does the software write original creation directory strings into the file or is there the option to do so? I know some software(s) do that as an extra security measure.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?