RIP Dean Huster 1949-2014

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
VernGraner

RIP Dean Huster 1949-2014

Post by VernGraner »

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that long time forum contributor and self styled electronics curmudgeon extraordinaire Dean Huster has passed away. Here is the obituary from his home town:

http://www.fowlersullivanfuneralhome.co ... ean-huster

Harold Dean Huster, 65, of Harviell, Mo., passed away Sunday, October 12, 2014, at his residence.

Mr. Huster was born January 12, 1949 in St. Charles, Mo., to the late Harold George Huster and Maxine Aulda (Raber) Huster.

He was a deacon at Fellowship General Baptist Church in Poplar Bluff, sang in the church choir, and taught two Sunday school classes, Faithful Workers and Second Milers Class. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.

Mr. Huster did home repair and enjoyed restoring old radios and electronics. He also enjoyed camping, reading and loved being with his family.

On March 18, 1978, he married Honda (Winters) Huster in St. Louis. She survives.

Other survivors include one daughter, Hilary Taylor (Josh); his mother-in-law, Barbara Winters; a sister, Donna Kluesner; brother, Michael Huster; and two grandchildren, Aaron and Kerris.

A memorial visitation will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, October 16, 2014 at Fellowship General Baptist Church, 3581 North Westwood, Poplar Bluff, with the memorial funeral service to follow at 3 p.m. The Rev. Byron Beck will officiate.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials are made to the Scouting Program at Fellowship General Baptist Church, 3581 North Westwood, Poplar Bluff, Mo. 63901.

:sad:

Vern
--
Vern Graner
CeaSaR

Re: RIP Dean Huster 1949-2014

Post by CeaSaR »

No, not Dean!

Of all of "the regulars", I knew of Dean the longest. His stint at Poptronics was my introduction to him. Ever the mentor, he did not hesitate to help whenever he could. And as the loveable old curmudgeon, he lived in the analog world and loved the times he had lived, always ready to show that things didn't necessarily need a digital solution.

And now there is an empty spot at the test bench. His power supply shut down for the final time. His soldering iron sits cold. Rest, oh compatriot of the electronics world. Your legacy will live on in the lives of all you have given of yourself. I know that up in the night sky, yours is not a star, but a perfectly biased 12AX7 glowing forever.

Farewell Dean.
"Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines)."

CeaSaR
(Charles Ryberg)
Hey, what do I know?
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Nooooooooo! DagNabbitt! Dean was a classy guy. So sad.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

anyone know what happened ? he was not so old... was he sick ?
zenobia

Post by zenobia »

It wasn't mention in the article.
jkoebel

Post by jkoebel »

A friend of Dean's reported it was a sudden heart attack over on another forum we both frequented. Unexpected by anyone, certainly. RIP.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Damn........ :sad:

Another of the old guard has fallen. :sad:

It saddens me that as more of us old timers start too disappear.
There is no one coming after us, that is really working in the hobby of electronic building.
No more designing, and building of circuits.
Just Phone Hacking/Freaking and disposable electronics that can't be worked on. :sad:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

And now there is an empty spot at the test bench. His power supply shut down for the final time. His soldering iron sits cold. Rest, oh compatriot of the electronics world. Your legacy will live on in the lives of all you have given of yourself. I know that up in the night sky, yours is not a star, but a perfectly biased 12AX7 glowing forever.
Well said CeaSar well said.
Dean Huster R.I.P.

Steve G
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I can add nothing but deep regrets and sympathy to his family and friends.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Indeed, no, not Dean. We will miss him. A gentleman.