How to trick my video card to believe tv is on?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
scag

How to trick my video card to believe tv is on?

Post by scag »

Hello
I have a GeForce 5200 video card with the s-video connector plugged into a s-video to scart cable that then is plugged into a switchable two way scart box that this then plugs into my TV (I only have 1 scart plug at the back of my TV)<p>the software that runs my video card is Nvidia. I am not happy with this software but am stuck with it. The easiest option for me so that both viedo outputs go to the monitor and TV via the video card is to have the TV already on, expecially with the TV switched to the AV channel.
This is not practicle and often only want to play a movie on my TV after ive switched on the PC and not the TV.<p>Therefore...<p>Here are the pin layout of the scart plug http://www.geo.gr/geo-tech/scart_connector.htm<p>whick pins do i need to cross, cut or do something that will make my video card and software beleive that the TV is on and ready. Then if when i have turned on my PC and realise that i want to watch a film on the TV, i then switch the scart box over change the TV channel to AV, the picture is straight away on the TV???<p>Hope this makes sense
Many thanks
Mike :)
Mike

Re: How to trick my video card to believe tv is on?

Post by Mike »

With video cards, you have to choose between great hardware and crappy software (nvidia) or great software and crappy hardware (ati). I also have a 5200 in my computer (can't wait until the 6800 gt's come down 400 bucks for a card is WAY WAY WAY too much), and although it hasn't caused any problems, 99.9% of the games I try to play laugh at it.<p>But anyway, I don't think there is a way to make it always active, but have you tried setting up the grapics in clone mode. Just so you know this limits you to a 1024x768 resolution on your monitor, if you have it set higher than that, because that is the max for the s-video.<p>If not, you may have to boot with the TV on, or go into the settings every time and turn on the TV output manually.<p>Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is SCART? I've never heard of it.
Gorgon

Re: How to trick my video card to believe tv is on?

Post by Gorgon »

Hi Mike,
The only way for your videocard to sense an open connection would be the missing termination load resistor of 75 ohm.
If you insert this in your switchbox you will get an impedance mismatch because of the resistor already in your TV. This will load your output twice and the make your video signal lower.<p>But to check it out and verify it first, just use a 75 ohm resistor between the composite video in and composite video ground signal. Then you will see if your videocard is working. If that works we need to find a way to get the correct impedance!<p>BTW have you checked your PM's.<p>TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)