Trying to find / download a service manual...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Trying to find / download a service manual...

Post by Externet »

Hi fellows. Graduated of incompetent again, the flag bearer of compfuser idiots.

Looking for a service manual ----> Motorola R2600 analyzer (Or General Dynamics R2600); some hints appear searching the net.
The web sites offering it seem goofy, fake, crooked or all to me, and in .rar format, whatever that is. Unable to download any .rar file; went to the public library to try from there , blank CD on hand, and the same suspicious sites attempting to install an .exe or something I do not understand. I have never been able to get a .rar file ever in many years; I just do not understand if there is a special process to do so, or fancy skills needed.

Can anyone please try to obtain such service manual, burn it for me on disc and I will pay for ? Or, save it as .pdf somewhere in the cloud where can be downloaded ? Please be careful if the sites smell rotten to you. I do have the user manual.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Dean Huster

Re: Trying to find / download a service manual...

Post by Dean Huster »

Yeah, there's two or more manual sites that want to download their "downloader" to your computer -- it's the only way you can download their manuals. And I'm sure their downloader program comes with all kinds of "helpful" toolbar add-ons and other browser surprises. I've yet to utilize one of those sites and I download a lot of manuals. I'll do without, thank you!

Just for fun, run that instrument through the ebay search. You may find someone offering a CD of the manual for a reasonable price.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I downloaded a manual a few months ago from one of those sites. You jump thru a bunch of hoops to confuse you and then finally there appears a giant DOWNLOAD button. without going any further I gladly pressed it. Yeah, I got my manual and along with it a host of viruses. For one, it completely took over my home page and refused any other browser to compete. Garbage ads everywhere all the time. I used my anti malware to rid 90% of it but the rest would not budge, so another trip to my computer guy to clean out the remaining.
That's all you can expect from "free" this or that on the internet. Every time I pull up a page of websites for downloads, this one invariably will appear, so I guess they are still doing their dirty business. Since I have been once stung, I am twice cautious. You were wise to steer away from the one you pulled up.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks John.
Saw that, but $35 from China for a CD which is not a seachable .pdf but a bunch of .jpeg , will pass for now.

Dean, Robert : Yes, tried fearlessly that fishy site download repeatedly but no success. Got no harm on Linux.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

I cant be sure, but is this the manual you are looking for?

https://www.scribd.com/doc/123539202/Manual-R2600
--
Vern Graner
jwax

Post by jwax »

Miguel said in his OP that he had the Operators Manual, needs the Service Manual.
WA2RBA
cpprioli

Post by cpprioli »

The Boat Anchor Manual Archive (https://bama.edebris.com/manuals/motorola/r2600/) has this manual set... and a host of others...

(https://bama.edebris.com) for the site homepage...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting there is half -- hell, make it three-quarters -- of the fun... but don't let the magic smoke get out!

-ChrisP
jwax

Post by jwax »

cpprioli- You know this thread is 7 years old, right?
WA2RBA
cpprioli

Post by cpprioli »

Yeah... but the need for a great manual site is always there... I mostly wanted to put the BAMA site out there...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting there is half -- hell, make it three-quarters -- of the fun... but don't let the magic smoke get out!

-ChrisP
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

cpprioli wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:26 pm Yeah... but the need for a great manual site is always there... I mostly wanted to put the BAMA site out there...
Nice find.
But, the site is just starting out.
So, what they have, is not a lot.
And it seems to be mostly Test Equipment, and Ham Radio Schematics.

I've come across some other sites, that are offering free downloads of Service Manuals as well.
Only, like BAMA they too only have a few.
{Note: The free download sites are iffy at best.
They can have trackers, virus's, keyloggers, spyware, etc, that gets on your computer.
Or it downloads and installs a bunch of garbage along with the Service Manual at worst!}

Or they require you to sign up, or register too their site.
Before you can gain access to download the manual.

Then there are the sites that have the Service Manual, but only for the price of a digital download.
{This is normally around $20}

My local library still carries Sams PhotoFacts.
Thus, If whatever I'm repairing is covered by the PhotoFacts.
I can go down there, and make photo copies of the schematics I need.
:wink:

Unfortunately......
Most consumer electronics now a days, isn't required to have a schematic, or service manual for repairs.

Signed: Janitor Tzap