need suggestions - GPS clock

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: need suggestions - GPS clock

Post by haklesup »

in that case search digikey, mouser and the web for "GPS OEM Modules" you will find a lot and many only need minimal external components to operate and the first one I looked at was $20 and has a timing pulse output. Not sure if it suits your requirements but these modules are actually quite inexpensive since they lack the battery, display and software IP that are part of a consumer receiver.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am thinking to get one that has a back up memory battery with it...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If all you want is a time code or pulse, I don't know what memory there would be to back up. Many of the modules have some flash memory for system settings. The only purpose I can think of would be to reduce startup time if you turned it off and I'm not even sure that is applicable in your stated app.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Again, for me, it's frequency. A pulse is fine for setting the time (although there will still be propagation delay issues), but I need a standard phase-locked frequency out, such as 1MHz, 5MHz, 10MHz, the higher the better. Even something more weird that can be divided or multiplied into a decent value would be ok. Guess I'll have to start searching myself.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the battery back up will help to retain sat info in case of a brief power outage,,the gps will be able to relock onto them faster, than a old restart..
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Yeah, I hate those old restarts! :)
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

UPDATE - well i been working hard getting things together here on my GPS Clock
i have all the digits mounted and i have a driver board and on the driver board is the ATmega328P (same IC/CPU that is on the Arduino Uno)
CPU that will run everything.
the ATmega328 is driving 6 TPIC6B595's ( display drivers ) the GPS will also connect to the ATmega328P. i have friend right now that is helping me with the programming to make it all work.
in exchange for his time i am trading him a set of power chair motors that he wants for another project. i think it is a fair trade :)
so far we have made a test program to make sure that everything is working with each other.
so good so far.
i'll post more updates later on..