Kill-A-Watt 240 VAC

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Kill-A-Watt 240 VAC

Post by jwax »

Has anyone found a "Kill-A-Watt" line power monitor that operates on 240 VAC? (cheap- like $20)

240 VAC are the real power hogs in a home, wonder why a high power model is not available?

My 120 VAC model works fine, but limited to 120 VAC.
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Re: Kill-A-Watt 240 VAC

Post by dacflyer »

might try looking into the european units.. they do make kill-a-watt in 240v for europe.
or if your able to monitor 1 leg of the 240v line, then just divide the amperage. but might not be possible. but a thought..
jwax

Post by jwax »

I'll look into the European devices dacflyer- the manufacturer is "P3 International"- you'd think they would make one for higher line voltage.

Hehe- "Perhaps two of them, with a line between them?"
:)
WA2RBA
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

John
I too would love to have a "240" version of the kilowatt especially since I have an all electric home (w/baseboard heat). I have given thought from time to time about hacking the one I have but as yet have not followed thru on it. Possible trouble with Euro version:
50 Hz frequency (may or may not matter)
Plug connector is different
I think their "240" may actually be 230vac
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

European 240V is single phase like our 110V but higher amplitude (hot, neutral, safety ground). US 240V is 2 phase (HOT, HOT, neutral and maybe a safety ground) and uses different plugs. I doubt the European version will work well for what you intend if it works at all.

Most if not all my 240V appliances are almost purely resistive like my Dryer and range. These are generally easy to estimate the power usage while operating. Its just a lot harder to see the cumulative power used.
Externet

Post by Externet »

There is an european one here:
---> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Meter-E ... 4d16354744
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

So it would seem the European 240 VAC is equivalent to the secondary of a transformer- single phase 240 VAC, while the US power is equivalent to a 240 VAC secondary with a center tap?
Other than the frequency difference, the 240 VAC from either source looks the same for power measurement purposes. Unless I'm missing something?

BTW, the purpose of this power monitor was for logging the power consumed by my solar panel defroster, which has a variable power over time profile, thus the need for knowing the final KWH used for a defrost cycle.
WA2RBA
gerty

Post by gerty »

I wonder if the operating frequency, 50 vs 60 hz , will have any effect on the accuracy..