new challenge..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

new challenge..

Post by frhrwa »

just bought a couple of flat screens.. large for the living room, small for the kitchen.. was planning on mirroring the kitchen off the living room.. which is on Direct TV.. that way when you changed channels on the living room tv, the kitchen tv had the same.. didn't want to go with another direct tv box.. so...... I took out my double oven (heavy as hell,and took two people to do this).. put the swing out mount support on the inside of that cabinet to hold the little tv.. it swings in towards the cabinet out of the way when we're not using it.. ran the "coax" into the wall, down into the crawl space, over to the garage where I could pick up the coax going to the living room tv.. wa la, after getting it all back together I found out, NEW tv's do not have tv output on them.. lots of HDMI and such, but NO coax tv output.. the direct tv connects to the tv via HDMI, so a splitter is out.. unless, HERES WHERE YOU COME IN.. how can I build a splitter for HDMI with a coax output? or.... has anyone got an idea how to do what I need done? its over 50' to the tv and near .. I say near because nothing is impossible I suppose, to get an HDMI cable over to the living room from the kitchen.. plus I have to take that heavy double oven out again and fish the cable down the wall.. also, when I gave up on that for now, went to the bedroom to hookup my wireless headset.. it has a mini plug or two RCA's for input, guess what, the TV people also eliminated RCA and mini jack audio outputs.. there is a digital audio output and not knowing anything about this, I'm at a loss for that also.. gimme back the old days.. no OBAMA, and TV's you could work with..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
sghioto

Re: new challenge..

Post by sghioto »

NEW tv's do not have tv output on them.. lots of HDMI and such, but NO coax tv output
I'm missing something here. Do you mean coax TV input? Because I've never seen a coax TV output on any TV before. VCRs and cable boxes but not TVs.

All TVs including the new ones have a coax Input. You would need to run the coax back to the direct tv box which should have a coax output.

Or you could drop Direct TV and get U-verse they have wireless converters.

Steve G
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

sghioto wrote:
NEW tv's do not have tv output on them.. lots of HDMI and such, but NO coax tv output
I'm missing something here. Do you mean coax TV input? Because I've never seen a coax TV output on any TV before. VCRs and cable boxes but not TVs.

All TVs including the new ones have a coax Input. You would need to run the coax back to the direct tv box which should have a coax output.

Steve G
yep, it has the coax input, and tons of HDMI inputs.. there are no coax connections on the direct tv, so if i could split and convert the output of the HDMI on the direct box to the LR tv, then I'd have the HDMI in that tv and a coax to the kitchen tv?
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

there are no coax connections on the direct tv
You're right Im looking at a new Direct TV receiver box and there are no coax outputs. Those guy's aren't dumb, looks like you will need to order a second receiver in my opinion. Or you could use a RF modulator connected to the composite video output of the receiver, but probably wont get HD.

Steve G
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am guessing the tv does not have RCA outputs either...

not cheap but this might work..
HDMI to coax converter..
http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-over-singl ... OgodaVIARQ

i looked at a few other solutions, and i do not see anything else that is budget friendly..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

Looks like a wash.. the adaptor/convertor would probably work but almost as expensive as the tv was.. guess best to bite the bullet and use a digital antenna .. I have one and it pulls all of the locals in clear. THANKS FOR TRYING THO.. and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Go to Mcmelectronics.com and look up HDMI extender or HDMI splitter. You'll find many options that might fill the bill. Of course, prices are across the board, but you should be able to get something reasonable enough.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

THANKS.. will check it out...
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

frhrwa wrote:
sghioto wrote:

Steve G
yep, it has the coax input, and tons of HDMI inputs.. there are no coax connections on the direct tv, so if i could split and convert the output of the HDMI on the direct box to the LR tv, then I'd have the HDMI in that tv and a coax to the kitchen tv?
your right, no coax output, but if the direct tv satelite box were coax out to the tv, I could use a splitter to the other tv.. it has none also.. guess I'll bite the bullet and install a second little black box from direct.. otherwise, for now the digital antenna gets great local reception, and really, I'm only looking for the news.. so..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

dacflyer wrote:i am guessing the tv does not have RCA outputs either...

not cheap but this might work..
HDMI to coax converter..
http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-over-singl ... OgodaVIARQ

i looked at a few other solutions, and i do not see anything else that is budget friendly..
holy crap, that's almost what I paid for that flatscreen in the kitchen... what makes this thing so spendy?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

another question, what is involved in building or putting together an HDMI to either (2) RCA's or (1) mini stereo plug.. for audio purposes..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

you have several options for extending HDMI. One is a repeater and search ebay and amazon for better prices.

The cheaper way is a hybrid of HDMI and CAT5 cables. Its basically a balun transformer that converts your HDMI cable into two Cat 5 cables then back, totally passive, no power required and 30 yard long runs are possible (maybe more with CAT6). A 2 pack of wall plates cost less than $20 in some cases, $30 is more typical and Crutchfield wants a whopping $217 (shame on them)

Some wireless extenders are coming out now but they typically have limited range and are still expensive (more than a 22" TV). Some cable providers have hardware for Wifi broadcast which you can then use a cell phone and HDMI cable as a substitute cable box. In fact you can do that anyway with various web providers.

What I want still seems to be restricted on the market (probably IP concerns by content providers) I want a small box that has an HDMI input and streams whatever is on that to my home network (wireless or wired) so I can watch it on any wifi device. I can rent one from Comcast but I cannot buy one AFAIK. Slingbox and Tivo might do some of that I need to look more closely. I don't really need the DVR capabilities, just a low cost dongle HDMI to WiFi kind of like the Google chromecast but in reverse. I give it 2 years to see this product in the price I want assuming the movie company weenies don't block it (after all it opens the door wide to international streaming of domestic content)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"another question, what is involved in building or putting together an HDMI to either (2) RCA's or (1) mini stereo plug.. for audio purposes.."

Some repeaters have an audio pick off output but I never saw one that down-converts to RCA video. A home theatre AV system might have such features, most are concerned with up-converting though.

congratulations on the upgrade, it will probably pay for itself someday in electricity saved.

As for as building anything. HDMI is a high speed technology and the chips tend to be small pitch BGA or QFP so you need fairly mature design skills to even replicate a reference design. A search of Digikey for HDMI shows 35 dev kits, one of those might be fun to experiment with, most are not cheaper than the products they are intended to develop though. One excellent low cost platform is raspberrypie and does support HDMI video out but probably not in.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

ok, so I ordered this HDMI to RCA adaptor.. got it today, took a set of audio RCA cables, cut them in half, soldered spkr+ to the hot lead on the RCA.. did this on 4 of them ... now, plugged them into the JBL Surround.. hit Test, and the tones went around the room perfect.. but................ back to that dang HDMI, ran it up the inside of the wall to the flatscreen, where do you plug it in to get audo when watching tv, or DVD, or anything.. theres HDMI1 (goes to the direct tv box), HDMI2 (goes to the blu-ray DVD), HDMI3 AND 4 GO NO WHERE.. but don't put out any sound since tv is on 1... this getting ridiculous trying to get surround on a new style tv.. these buttheads have engineered the most unfriendly connections ever.. so, is there an HDMI splitter? if so, would it work to send the audio to the JBL amp? then just turn off the TV spkrs?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

HDMI combines sound and video so if you are converting audio from only one channel, that's all you can get. The manufacturers want you to get a newer amplifier that can do the HDMI switching and get the digital audio out at the same time. The amp probably has more than just HDMI out if you want to support the older TVs

There are no passive HDMI splitters but there are powered ones and you can get 1 input and 2, 4 or 8 out, they also serve as a repeater