microfich-microfilm of back issues of electronics magazi

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
craig-1

microfich-microfilm of back issues of electronics magazi

Post by craig-1 »

Does anybody know where I can go to get microfich or microfilms of back issues of backdated magazines. There must be a unveristy or collage that has this. If so give me the addresses and phone numbers.
haklesup

Re: microfich-microfilm of back issues of electronics magazi

Post by haklesup »

Have you tried the Library of Congress <p>http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/
Acording to the list at
http://www.loc.gov/rr/news/full.html#R
the have RE from 1/80 to 6/92 either on microfilm or what they called the ProQuest system (which needs a valid account to use which I do not have.<p>I didn't browse too deep but you may be able to get the microfilm delivered to your local library via the library lending program. In fact if you contact your librarian she/he can probably find you a copy.<p>ProQuest info<p>http://www.loc.gov/rr/news/common-q-z.html
Radio-Electronics.
TK6540.R34 (1929-1967; 1974-1980)
Microfilm 06211 (1929- ) MicRR
Recent issues also in SciRR.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

At one time, a lot of magazine titles were available on microfilm or microfiche through ... was it ... University Microfilm or something like that. If the company is still in business, they could be a source of back issues. I'd never though of them as a source until this subject came up.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Some libraries have fairly extensive collections of back issues of magazines on microfilm. I think that these may have been purchased from University Microfilms. A college technical library may be more likely to have these, but some public libraries also have them. These files were bought as rolls of microfilm or sets of microfiche. Each roll usually contains an entire year. Microfiche usually have about 50 pages per fiche.<p>Don't expect very high quality. The text is usually legible, but pictures are usually halftones and they reproduce very poorly. Copies may be available with some type of photocopy or zerox process, and these do not reproduce grey shades very well.<p>If you have a college or university nearby, try their technical libraries.There will be a main library, and each department, such as Electrical Engineering, may have a separate specialized library.<p>[ June 02, 2005: Message edited by: stephen ]</p>
moldmaker

Post by moldmaker »

Try the Wheaton Pulblic Library
in Wheaton IL. or ECC (Elgin Community College)
in Elgin Il.<p>When my son went to ECC. we got some schematics
from some old issues from Popular Electronics.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

There used to be a place in Benton Harbor, Michigan, which advertised in (I think) QST magazine, amongst others. Can't think of their name.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

University Microfilms may have been in Benton Harbor. That seems to ring a bell.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

They're in Ann Harbor.