burned coil?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Volter

burned coil?

Post by Volter »

I got a range hood that does not fan out. There is power coming in, the red and black wires are hot and the coil on the transformer is hot as well. If the coil indicates that there is power it still can be burned, correct? Is there anyway to find out that the coil is bad?
Thanks much.
Externet

Re: burned coil?

Post by Externet »

If you call 'transformer coil' to the fan motor windings; and they are hot, turn off and check the fan blades are free to spin by hand. If hard to spin, lubricate the bushings and turn them by hand until free from drag. Then it may work.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Volter

Post by Volter »

Sorry, I did not mean the coil is hot as HOT, I meant it conducts, I used the tester that test the inductance like one can use on wires without actually touching the bare wire. The fan spins freely and when I check the coil it does conduct power(?).
Thanks.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi
There's some oddities and missing clues here.

Those handy glow testers only measure the presence of an AC field, and if the motor winding or the neutral side of the line is open, it will still glow if power is applied, which really tells you little. Disconnect the wires and measure the continuity of the motor coil with an ohmmeter or use an ammeter to measure the current. Also measure the actual voltage, from line to neutral with a voltmeter.

You say the fan motor has 2 wires, red and black. That is a bit unconventional for a simple AC motor, which is usually 2 blacks or a black and a white!

You also say the 'red and black wires are hot" well that should not be. If it is an AC motor one side is the line connection, usually through a switch or speed control, and the other one is the neutral side of the power line. The neutral side should not be 'hot' and, if it is, that presents the symptom of an open neutral connection someplace.

Is there a fan speed control in the unit? If so that may be a factor in the failure.

Post a picture if possible, maybe the wiring drawing if it is in the unit. Range hoods are usually simple devices with simple circuitry.

The more information gets more accurate help!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)