Enviromentalist Revenge Trap

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Enviromentalist Revenge Trap

Post by frhrwa »

I want to put together two pieces of screen, its a heavy gauge compared to regular screen, and the holes are large enough for a yellow jacket to crawl through.. HEAR THAT ENVIROMENTALISTS?.. I have the screen, I've got insulators, now what I want is to hook up power to this with a LARGE capacitor so, like the fella previously did with the flash attachment, it goes POW when something tries to go through it.. then, I'll place it over a large plastic bottle or pale with old raw chicken or pork cuttings.. maybe some fish.. when the YELLOWJACKETS .. yep, those YELLOWJACKETS THAT THE ENVIRO'S JUST TURNED LOOSE IN "MY" NEIGHBORHOOD, it's the same neighborhood that THEY turned the Canadian Grey Wolf loose in... oh, sorry, back to the ? I forgot where I was going, it really urks me that these people come into someone elses neighborhood and set free millions of these flying, stinging, biting, pests .. because they want to get rid of MY pine beetle.. well ENVIRO'S, get this, those YELLOWJACKETS do NOT go after the Pine Beetles, they go after PEOPLE.. extremely aggressive.. so, I'd like to see how many million I can kill before the snow flies.. YELLOWJACKETS that is.. any ideas out there? thanks..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
dacflyer

Re: Enviromentalist Revenge Trap

Post by dacflyer »

modify a bug zapper.. remove the UV lamp.. and set the grid over some of that yellow jacket / wasp attractant (like used in them wasp traps ) they crawl in, but cannot get out and drown ?
put the zapper over that and when they try to get in.. Bzzzt..done
i have did this with that stinky fly attractant used in them fly traps. works really well for flies.

never heard of them setting out yellow jackets to go ofter pine beetles.

altho here is a tip if you find the yellow jackets in the ground, wait til dark ( wasp and others will not fly at night) then dump a bucket of scalding hot water on the nest. it will steam them to death.
that is the ENVIRO FRIENDLY way to kill them,, no chemicals or gas to soak into the ground.
i have used the scalding hot water method and it has worked every time.,, but only do it at night when they will not be able to fly and get you. also use as little light as you can, flashlight etc.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

for some reason, they got it in their elm tree minds that yellowjackets will go after the pine beetle, of which I have none on 20acres.. none behind on that 10acres, and none next door on my sisters 10acres.. yet, we have 1000's of yellowjackets that are getting really aggressive as the cold weather moves forward!.. you can't work outside from 7am until dark unless you plan on being stung over and over.. really tired of people with big noses tending to my business.. I'll open up this tennis racket and see what it has, was thinking along the lines of 110ac, or use one of the wall warts I have.. anywhere from 3volts up to 24volts..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

mine is powered with almost 400 VDC.. anything less will not be effective.. 300vdc might just stunn them,
but if you got thousands, you might think to use a fogger and fogg the area.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

dacflyer wrote:mine is powered with almost 400 VDC.. anything less will not be effective.. 300vdc might just stunn them,
but if you got thousands, you might think to use a fogger and fogg the area.
I'd use the fogger, but... still looking to spot weld the wires in place, plus I need some asbestos sheathed wire.. but this trap should attract them like crazy.. what kind of transformer did you use to get 300/400 volts? what size capacitor? how did you wire it up?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Asbestos-sheathed wire? Why? You're not hooking up a waffle iron or toaster heating element. If you're looking for good electrical insulation, use silicone-covered high voltage test lead wire. Sounds like you've found what' called "hardware cloth" -- galvanized steel "screen" that the big-box stores sell for a high price, but it's a small gauge because it's made in China. You can still get true hardware cloth that's a much heavier gauge with heavier galvanizing if you find that your panels are warping too much and touching. But expect to pay for it. I'd suppose you're using DC so that you can charge a capacitor for higher ZAP energy. A simpler AC approach might be using a small neon sign transformer fed with a lower voltage (use a 2:1 or 4:1 transformer) to keep it below its normal 12kV so the panels don't arc over. If DC is your approach, a smaller step-up transformer and using a voltage multiplier to charge a HV cap would be a good solution. Remember that at high voltage, it doesn't take a lot of capacitance to have enough killing power for an insect. The Missouri Decpartment of Conservation considers more bees and wasps to be beneficial insection because they kill destructive insects and are not particularly aggressive while foraging. But they do list red paper wasps and yellow jackets as non-beneficial insects because they are usually overprotective of nothing.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

the coated wire is for the fogger, that tube where the thermal thing mounts gets extremely hot.. and the wire they used had what looked to be asbestos cloth? I'm still at a quandary for fastening it on tho, theres is spot welded.. with regards to the yellow jackets, your right, not worth a shit, they attack you when you walk out the door, extremely aggressive, so I'm ready to blast them when someone comes up with a schematic to build my zapper.. thanks.. wayne
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

neon wire is called GTO-15 its good for 15kv.
the so called asbestos wire... goto your appliance store, and you can get packs of 14Ga. or 12Ga. stove wire.
it is heavy nickle plated wire.. silicone covered with a fiberglass heat shield coating. no one uses asbestos wire any more anywhere. outlawed.

as for my zapper boost, i used the modified guts of a disposable camera flash. but they are limited to 1.5 volts input.
if you want it to last a good while, you will want to consider using D-cells in parallel, or find you a large
1.5, and i have seen 2volt batteries.

and the hardware cloth you speak of,, we call it here,, "rabbit wire" it has about 1cm square holes..or close to 1/2"
that is the typical size of the grid in bug sappers.

good luck...
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I'll have to watch the garage sales for a flash unit.. just wanted to build something that would fit over a large plastic pale, like 5 gallon size.. put raw meat or fish in the bottom, set the insulated screens on top and watch them try to get to the meat.. see how many a day I can obliterate..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I used to try and control the yellow jackets but then I noticed they were mostly killing the flies, moths and other bugs that actually come into my house and bother me while they mainly stay outdoors. Naturally if they try to nest too close to a door or inside my car, they get sprayed to death but that's all I do now.

Admittedly, I don't have a severe problem and I recognize in other parts of the country, these bugs are more aggressive and problematic. Maybe you just need more dog crap to make more flies so they have plenty to eat and don't bother you. :)

The only useful advice I I have it to wait for winter and put wire mesh around all the gaps where they normally like to nest and force them to areas where you can more easily control them. If the nest is on the neighbors house, good luck cooperating.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if your looking for a flash unit, just goto where ever they process the disposable cameras. most likely they will give you a few for free..i get a lot of free AA batteries this was also :)
local CVS saves them for me. i can get a hand full most anytime.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

The only useful advice I I have it to wait for winter and put wire mesh around all the gaps where they normally like to nest and force them to areas where you can more easily control them. If the nest is on the neighbors house, good luck cooperating.
my neighbors would pay to get rid of the yellow jackets, everyone in this area is fed up with fighting them.. now to top it off, the ENVIRO'S have introduced a WOLVE from Canada that is extremely violent and goes after anything that moves, just to kill it.. a few weeks ago, a bunch of "lets say, neighbors" were out in the field next to the tree line, suddenly all of the cows came out of the trees and came to these guys... then the wolf showed up.. ha ha ha.. each guy had a high powered rifle, end of story!.. fortunately, I'm not real close to the tree line, its a mile away and they have to come through a few yards to get to my area.. but the Yellow jackets are here, there, and everywhere..