wireless cameras

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

wireless cameras

Post by frhrwa »

anyone have a good recommendation for wireless cameras.. must see in the dark, good quality in order to read license plates, and transmit up to 400' or better? maybe too much too ask? I seem to have a bunch of worthless a$$holes that drive by and toss trash in the right of way out front,, I can clean it up one day, and the next day there will be more than 10 beer bottles, macdonalds trash, salsa bottles, cans, paper, plastic, and even a HUGE wheel hub off of a BIG truck... hub caps too. so, I'd like to get this action on film and do a little prosecuting.. or gather up the crap and go dump it in their front seat.. maybe add the hose turned on..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Externet

Re: wireless cameras

Post by Externet »

Hi.
I have dealt with only one of zillion vendors, and found to be straight. Browse their site PolarisUSA. Perhaps they have what you want. Calling them with your plan should yield a helpful response.
Doing a web search show sooooo much crap that it is not worth trying.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

Here's another source:
http://www.supercircuits.com/

Keep in mind that you can buy a video camera for $10 or $10,000+. You get what you pay for. Avoid the cheapies!
WA2RBA
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I can understand that.. its pretty much that way in anything you purchase.. but, not having a lot of experience with this type camera, figured I'd ask you guys which way to go.. main thing is I need to be able to read license plates,.... and I got a hunch the trash is being tossed in the dark.. don't want to spend $10,000 but I know a cheapie won't cut it..
gerty

Post by gerty »

Don't know what your area is like, but when we have that problem here the Sheriff's dept will come and put up a game camera or two .
They use them in pot patches also. With most brands you don't get real time video you get snapshots, but I hear there's some out now that record video. Check with some of your friends that hunt to see about borrowing one..Drawback...If it's spotted, they may smash/steal it.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I called the local sheriff and told him about the liquor bottles, beer bottles, plain old garbage, sacks, water bottles and all.. nothing came of it.. I figured I'd hide the cameras up a tree or camouflage them.. I'll try the cops again.. thanks..
jwax

Post by jwax »

There are trail cams out there that come in two parts- one is the camera/transmitter, and the other receiver/picture storage. You separate the two by 20-50 feet, so if the camera gets stolen, you have the storage box with the pictures of who stole your camera. Very clever! And yes, motion-activated video recording is available.
Love this one-
http://www.supercircuits.com/hidden-cam ... dvr-sc7000
WA2RBA
avionicsmaster1958

Post by avionicsmaster1958 »

You may have the satisfaction of seeing who did it and even get their license plate but I doubt you'll be able to prosecute. Well, at least be able to afford to prosecute.

There are no more egregiously charging people in the whole world. I think you'll need to get the Sheriff to do the cams and then I doubt he/she will be interested in it unless they are dumping bag fulls of empty pseudo-ephedrine bottles.

I know how you feel as I've got a neighbor who lets his dog crap on my lawn. Even with the video he denies it and the cops won't do anything about it mainly because it's a civil case not a criminal case.

Best wishes but the only solution may be Xanax.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I'd take a slightly different approach, I would put an obvious fake camera in plain view (up high) with a sign that says no littering, violators will be prosecuted with the code numbers listed to make it look official. Expect your fake camera to be vandalized so don't spend too much on it. Petition the city counsel to put that sign up for you. Other similar signs should work "Notice, this area under video surveillance" Even if it is not. Sneaky people like their privacy and most should stay away.

Passive deterrents like this can get rid of a significant portion of careless litter, there will always be the authority shrugging red necks with beer bottles to spare to trash the place (in my neck of the woods, those would be gone by morning by the scavengers anyway) but if you could reduce the cleanups to less than once a week, that would be an improvement, right?

If you do go with a live camera, get at least 480 lines if not a full 720 line camera. Often the IR filters can be removed from the lens but you will probably still need a good IR light source. No camera can see in the real dark. I doubt you want to spend money on FLIR or Gen 3 night vision. There are many, try Swann, they have a wide selection, eBay also has tons. Also look at PVR or personal DVR category of self contained recording cameras (i.e. nanny cams and front door cameras).

Good news is the might prosecute if you hand them all the evidence gift wrapped and high rez. Too bad officer Odie is not on your beat (a-la "Alice's restaurant"). If they won't do anything (and they should if you file a proper criminal complaint backed by a real law and clear evidence, Littering is a crime not a nusance). if it is your property, you can file civil suit for damages but that can be overly complicated and more messy than the mess.

Good luck
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I'll try that first.. if it fails, then I'll get real pic's and track them myself.. I can stick a hose in their vehicle and fill it up.. or something nice and fitting for all the crap I've had to pick up out here.. and, there's always take all the crap back over and stuff their vehicle full with it..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I suppose that sign will say , "visit litterbug.com to see pictures of the slobs in your neighborhood".

Sounds like you know who is responsible, don't stoop to their level