Black & Decker LCS20 lithium battery charger no indicator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ken1

Black & Decker LCS20 lithium battery charger no indicator

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, I have a Black & Decker trimmer in which the charger will not charge the batteries. The indicator light on the charger will not light up. Is the charger or the batteries at fault? The batteries are lithium model LBXR20 and the charger is model LCS20.
Externet

Re: Black & Decker LCS20 lithium battery charger no indicato

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Do you have the user manual or remember if the charger lights up something with no battery attached?

Crack it open and check fuse and voltages.
The trimmer does not spin at all with that battery pack ? What is the voltage at the battery pack terminals ?

The idiots at B&D do not recognize their product... :x -Typical-
B&D.png
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, This belongs to a neighbour. Both batteries measure 5.8V and the trimmer head just barely tries to turn. I took the charger apart and there is 170V at the output of the bridge rectifier and 2.2V across the red and black leads that go to the battery. There are 2 more leads, a blue and an orange. Both of these measure 0.66V with reference to the black lead. The batteries have 4 terminals on them.
Externet

Post by Externet »

:sad:.... 5.8V.... overdischarged...
Those blue and orange leads are for sensing something, an interlock, battery presence, power good, thermal fuse or temperature sensor to enable the charger to energize...
This is too much guessing without a schematic of both the charger and the battery pack.
Cannot suggest where to follow. :sad:

Seen chargers that refuse to work if batteries are discharged under a certain voltage. But that is a guess for your unit, which I hate to do. And the only way to overcome that situation is to open the battery pack and apply exactly 4.100 volts to only one cell at a time for about 10 minutes to bring the voltage up to a charging enabling level.
Is the pack sealed ?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

the indicator should light up even with no battery inside just to indicated powered status. Green steady, green blinking, red steady and red rapid blinking are represented on the label in the picture. If nothing then I'll guess the charger is bad and the easiest thing to do is just check each component you can on the un powered board. Maybe you can find a shorted diode or open winding or bad cap.

Have you searched eBay for a replacement? (search LCS20) $30 seems to be the going rate unless you can win an auction. I know what I would tell my neighbor to do. (give me $50 and I'll get you a replacement)
Externet

Post by Externet »

I checked fot that before looking for the manual.
Solid green is 'charge terminated', nothing about solid red. or 'energized' :sad:

Hover on the picture ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-DECKER-LC ... 1183098978