more power har har har!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

more power har har har!

Post by dacflyer »

yesterday i bought me one of them electronic fly swatters from harbor freight. they were on sale of 1.99 with coupon.
i got home and played around with it a bit.. popped a few flies with it.. i was surprised to see that the bigger flies could take the hit and survive. i got brave and stuck my finger in it. it smarted like i was popped on the finger with a rubber band. so i got to thinking, this needs more power if its gonna be really effective..lol
the power supply inside is a wimpy charge pump circuit. and it charges up a small cap in the Pf range
to about 350v it claims.. i tried to modify it and put in a flash cap from a old disposable camera, but the circuitry could not handle charging it up.
so i got creative and removed that circuit and i modified a camera flash circuit board and installed it into the swatter. sounds cool when you turn it on and it charges up the 350Uf cap at almost 400v
sounds like a jet engine winding up..lol
as soon as the grid was all charged up. i touched it with a screw driver.. POW ! sounded almost like a 22 bullet going off.. Muhhahahahaha! now to go out and test it on a few flies...

wholly crap.. this thing now explodes flies and anything else that flies into it.. works great on them carpenter bumble bees
i do not dare to stick my finger into it now..wonder if i should install a bleeder resister...naaaaa :))
MicroRem

Re: more power har har har!

Post by MicroRem »

Now THAT is a cool project!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Nice hack, dacflyer! Next comes the propane line and..........wait. No, maybe not! :)
WA2RBA
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote:i do not dare to stick my finger into it now..wonder if i should install a bleeder resister...naaaaa :))
Do you really think you shouldn't install a bleeder resistor?

That flash cap will hold its charge for a long time once it's charged.
So even if the charging circuit is powered down, the flash cap will still be holding a charge.

One day you'll be harassed by a sadistic fly, and as you reach to get the swatter, you mistakenly touch the wire grid.
{ZAP!}

Or worst case scenario....
Some one else comes into your home, and takes hold of the mesh on the swatter.
{ZAP!}

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jwax

Post by jwax »

dacflyer likes living on the edge.
WA2RBA
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hmmm. E = (C * V^2) * .5, so the 350uF @400V cap can charge up to 28 Joules (watt-seconds) of energy. Discharge that in the typical photoflash time of one two-thousandth of a second and you get......a very short burst of 56 kiloWatts into the pesky insect. No wonder they explode! :grin:

(well, maybe not quite 56. The cap would have to discharge to 0V, but I bet it discharges enough. :grin: )
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Wow cool thread yes. Just be careful with that thing now, sounds like it can be a little dangerous for certain people or kids.

But the next calculation we could do is calculate what the max temperature of the fly reaches or how long it takes to get up to a very high temperature due to the heating effect of the energy in the cap. This would be interesting to see how fast a 0.001 ounce little fly reaches say 500 degrees C.

[sound.on] >> Boil, pop, splat, laughter [sound.off]
[gesture.on] >> Evil grin [gesture.off]
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Anyone have a high speed IR camera?

It would be perfect for this out of production TV show
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other ... videos.htm
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

janitor >> One day you'll be harassed by a sadistic fly, and as you reach to get the swatter, you mistakenly touch the wire grid.
{ZAP!} .... well once i did get popped.. had it laying on the floor after zapping a fly or
was it a skeeter ? well either way, i was barefooted..not thinking i moved my toe onto the grid..POW!
it got my pinky toe good..felt like i was popped with a rubber band..lol

Or worst case scenario....
Some one else comes into your home, and takes hold of the mesh on the swatter.
{ZAP!} well they will learn to leave my stuff alone..:P

i put a stop to that at work..people are always messing with stuff on my desk.. so i charged up a few flash caps and left them laying around in my desk.. was funny to see one guy pick one up and start fiddling with it..it bit him a few times..he dropped it.. picked it up and messed with it a few more times. got bit a 3rd time before he realized it was charged up..
he does not mess with stuff on my desk no more..he now thinks everything is booby trapped. :evil:

beware of very thin solider wrapped around prongs of a plug.. POP! :evil:

ok, enough prank-n-booby trap ideas...
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote:janitor >> One day you'll be harassed by a sadistic fly, and as you reach to get the swatter, you mistakenly touch the wire grid.
{ZAP!} .... well once i did get popped.. had it laying on the floor after zapping a fly or
was it a skeeter ? well either way, i was barefooted..not thinking i moved my toe onto the grid..POW!
it got my pinky toe good..felt like i was popped with a rubber band..lol
Haha!!!!
Told you so! :mrgreen:

Ah....
You have reminded me about a friend of mine, and his one brother who kept using his stuff with out asking.
The thing that his brother was taking all the time was his 10 speed bicycle.
So, he booby-trapped his bike with an old AC cap he got out of an old air conditioner.
My friend and I were in the backyard of his mothers house setting up a quarter wave antenna for his CB,
when we heard the scream coming from the front of the house.
We ran around to the front of the house to find his brother clutching his one hand, and crying.
After my friends mother found out, he got grounded for a week.
But his brother wasn't using his stuff so quickly after that. :lol:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"beware of very thin solder wrapped around prongs of a plug.. POP!"

Cute trick but I'm afraid I'm going to have to fire you. :shock:
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Long time ago in a lab we had we used to hang resistors out the wiindow on long clip leads, so that the resistors dangled just outside the windows of the floor below. Connected to a variac, we would then switch the variac on and POOF just outside the window below, giving everyone down there a quick little thrill.

We also used to shut off the power to all the outlets before leaving, and the next group that came in would turn it back on once they got there. So we used to stick resistors in the outlets so that when the breaker was flipped back on, POOF POOF POOF as all the resistors smoked and exploded a little. Gave everyone a big laugh.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

back to the solider wrapped around the plug prongs..
had one gullible tech tech... when he plugged in a piece of test equipment it of course went pop.. tripped breaker,
after a reset he proceeded to check the unit out.. took all day taking it apart to find the cause of the short.
mean all day..never found it..lol. :D :evil: put the unit back together and it worked fine...
this guy was more of a book smart than a tech. so that made it especially funny..
jwax

Post by jwax »

This story has been around for a while, but still funny everytime I read it-
http://forum.t3fun.com/aika/off-topic/f ... n-gun-247/
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

pretty good..but it ain't all that..me and friends used to play stun gun tag at a friends house.. his dad was a sherriff.. and just happened to have 2-3 stun guns.
they hit hard. but we had a lot of fun too... :P