RS-232 led tester

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

RS-232 led tester

Post by dacflyer »

does anyone have info or a schematic on how to build a led tester for RS-232 or RS-485
gerty

Re: RS-232 led tester

Post by gerty »

IIRC, and we're thinking about the same thing, the one I have has leds connected in series with whatever device is connected to the cable.
Transmit led woulld light up when data sent to device, recieve would light up when device talked back to computer. It had db 25 connectors on each end, and with adaptors it would work on 9 pin. Mine came from RS, I looked and couldn't find one on the web. I'll look at the house and see if I can find mine.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Just Google RS232 tester! There are tons, some as low as $4. It's not worth the effort to build it!
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i seen testers online,
i was hoping to make something just to quickly see if i had data talking. we got a new tester for PTZ cameras, a handheld unit. it works fine for rs232 , but we cannot get it to work with rs485 and it is supposed to auto detect.
but seems to not work, so trying to see if the problem is in the cabinet hardware or the tester..