Cell phones with Wi-fi ...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Cell phones with Wi-fi ...

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Those cell phones featuring wi-fi ; what are they supposed to do?
Can those phones access a nearby wi-fi laptop hardrive files, can the laptop navigate the internet connection from the cell phone service; both ; none... What is the typical use for the feature ?
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Re: Cell phones with Wi-fi ...

Post by haklesup »

generally they can connect to the internet via WiFi instead of by phone networks. If you pay extra for "Teathering" most of these phones can also function as a router allowing other devices to connect to its WiFi (I often see these secured networks pop up in airports and hotels). you may or may not have access to local network capabilities depending on the app thats installed (and if one is available). the capability is there. For example, many stereo tuners can now be adjusted via apps installed on smart phones and newer security DVRs stream to local nets which you can watch on mobile devices. I don't know what app you would use to access your networked HDD for example but its possible because people access their music libraries this way commonly.

For the most part, the phones are more capable than the tablets
don87109

Post by don87109 »

Externet wrote:Hi.
Those cell phones featuring wi-fi ; what are they supposed to do?
Can those phones access a nearby wi-fi laptop hardrive files, can the laptop navigate the internet connection from the cell phone service; both ; none... What is the typical use for the feature ?
When I'm away from home I use my wifi capable phone to access several web cams in my house.

I can also browse the web for stock quotes, directions, etc.

Some phones can use skype over wifi for free calls.

I'm sure there are many other applications.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

hackelsup is right on. I have a Droid RAZR. I have not made a phone call using WiFi but apparently my phone can do that. I can browse the web using the phone network (3G or 4G, depending on service). I can hop on public WiFi networks I trust and browse the web that way. I, of course, can use my home WiFi to surf the web. Getting a "SmartPhone" was both one of the best and worst things I could have done. Best because I can always get on the web from just about anywhere. Worst because I can always get on the web from just about anywhere.

By far one of the most useful things I have on my phone is the teathering. For some reason I have NOT been able to get the USB to computer connection to teather correctly. Yes, I know how to download and install the latest software. Yes, I am using the factory cable. Yes, the computer works otherwise. Yes, I have tried WinXP SP3 and Win 7 64-bit. Verizon is of very little help; reinstalling the OS is NOT going to fix the problem and I'm not going to try. Windows sees it as "some USB device". I have installed the software from both Motorola and Verizon.

It works perfect if I turn on the HotSpot and go WiFi. Yes, the phone becomes a HotSpot and other computers can use their wireless cards to connect to the phone. If you do this you must use a charger or your battery will be dead in an hour or less. My phone supports open, WEP, WPK, WPK2.

There are all sorts of programs and games. I use WiFi Analyzer to find wireless networks. This is a spectrum analyzer for computer networks. Free. My phone has a built-in GPS. And since I use Google Maps little worry about them getting out of date; sort of. You can view home security as described before. You can use "remote desktop" to control a PC. Not fun on a tiny screen but it can be done. You can get docks for them so you have a full keyboard. You can also attach the output of them to HDMI ready devices and see things full screen. While they will play music I prefer my $10 MP3 player as it does not eat up my battery.

The down side of using these is I rarely get 24 hours out of a charge. But you can charge these using a USB cable and a computer in a pinch.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

When using the phone with the USB cable, does the phone appear as a mass storage device allowing access to the internal flash or inserted SD cards? It should at least do that. I suppose you are trying to use the phone as a USB connected modem so you PC or laptop can go online. This is what I thought you needed to pay extra for but maybe I am thinking of older plans. Admittedly, I am still using a flip phone, my knowledge stems from assisting friends with their new phones. Can you teather the laptop using wifi?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I cannot get my phone to be recognized as anything other than a USB device of some sort. Not a mass storage device, not a hotspot, not a phone. I cannot even get it to charge using a USB computer device or even POWERED hub.

I have tried this on three Windows XP 32 bit computers, a Windows 7 64 bit computer, and an Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit system.

I've tried a powered hub both connected to a computer and not connected to a computer. I've tried the front ports and the rear ports. The rear ports are directly on the motherboard.

Believe it or not some USB to IDE drive adapters will not work on the front ports. Especially those that spin up the drives over USB (2.5" drives).
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!