Decimal to seven segment conversion...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Decimal to seven segment conversion...

Post by Externet »

Hi fellows.
I was after this elusive chip a long time ago, and the need resurfaced again.
Originally, I wanted the ten output lines of a LM3914 bar display to show instead, numerically on a seven segment display.

It is NOT about binary converted to decimal. Am looking for a chip with TEN inputs to seven segment outputs.
Like from a rotary ten position switch producing the digits 0 to 9 on a seven segment led display.

Edited: The known alternative is to use a 10 position switch with BCD output into a 4511 IC to the display,
or take the long route :sad: from ten position switch to a 40147 IC to a 4511 IC to the display.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Re: Decimal to seven segment conversion...

Post by haklesup »

it can be done with multiple chips, first you need a 16 to 4 line decoder (you can ignore some of the inputs) and then a binary to 7 segment decoder chip. Do you need features like reset, clear, clock or counter like functions?, you may need to add some flip flops to handle that.

I don't recall ever seeing a single chip solution for this unless you want to program a microcontroller, they could handle it, you just need one with 17 or more I/O pins and not much memory, that would be the modern solution

Alternatively you can design the whole thing with only nand gates using standard logic design techniques.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

If you just want to to display 0-9 on a 7 segment display from a 10 input source, like a rotary switch, or buffered logic, why not consider a diode matrix?
10 inputs to 7 outputs and the diodes map the coding. 0=a,b,c,d,e,f ... 1=e,f ... 2=a,b,d,e,g /.... 8=a,b,c,d,e,f,g
The diode polarity depends on if its a common anode or cathode display, and, don't forget dropping resistors for the segments.
It's not elegant or high tech, but it does work!
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Externet

Post by Externet »

Of course, Len, that is correct... When you have to build one, not several dozens.

I wonder if such diode matrix already exists in a chip form, capable of 50-100+ mA
Miguel
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I guess if you don't want to use the 16x4 then 4x7 setup with 2 chips and the matrix is too cumbersome then a processor is what's left.
Can you bundle other functions into the processor to make it more cost effective?
Len
Len

Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The 74154 essentially does what a diode matrix would do and in the same amount of space even though it is a 24-pin chip on 0.6 row centers. I don't know if there's a CMOS version and if so, is probably small so you'd have to cascade a couple. Another option that might take up even more space is to program a couple of EPROMs to do more expensively and with more hassle that the '154 16-4 demux would do.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi Dean,

Isn't the 74154 a BCD encoder? I have the impression the OP wants 10 inputs translated to 7 segment coded outputs?
Should that have been a 74147, a DEC to BIN encoder?

The lash up could be the 74147 feeding the 7446 7 segment drive to the display

If I missed it, let me know!

Len
Len

Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Exter

Take a look at the CD4026 and see if that will work in your plan.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Very good suggestion, Robert. That chip opens up other perhaps better ways to do it !

Thanks !
Miguel
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

If you have found your solution, good.
If not, I will come back with my old idea of using some old eproms if you got them. A 2716 2k eprom would do what you need if programmed correctly. The address lines are the inputs(10(11)) and the data lines the outputs(8). So if you have some 2716 or higher laying around, use them as programmable logic. :mrgreen:
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)