WHERE ARE THEY?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Re: WHERE ARE THEY?

Post by jollyrgr »

N&V went the same direction Radio Electronics went (almost). Radio Electronics became a computer magazine and then was reborn as Electronics Now! (Dean can correct me on this.)

N&V is doing the same thing with microcontrollers. I don't want to blink an LED with a program (PIC, PicAx, Adrino, etc.)!

Even my lightning detector project sits idle/unbuilt. Lack of motivation anymore.....
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I believe you're thinking of Popular Electronics. If I recall correctly, this was back in the mid-80's when Ziff-Davis still owned PE. It then folded, much of the editorial staff founded the new "Modern Electronics" magazine, and Gernsback later revived PE as sort of a slightly-less-technical sister to Radio-Electronics. R-E became Electronics Now later in about '91-'92.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

I'm hanging around several forums doing electronics, not posting too much any more.
From what I see, you can put the average advice concerning building electronics in two buckets. If you can't us a 555 to solve the problem, you need a microcontroller (picaxe/ arduino/ plain PIC processor) to solve it.
Not many like to get their hands dirty with plain old logic any more. I've even got more or less flamed for solving a problem with logic, since 'it takes 5 or 6 chips, instead of 1 picaxe'.

The problem with that is that beginners can do wonder with software, but when they come to the 'real world' of electronics they have not a clue.
Many simulate their solution on the PC, thinking that it will work like the simulation when built. Normally they are mighty surprised when it's not the case.

And to be relative honest, :cool: it doesn't look too good with a crappy homebrew, compared to a shiny gizmo bought for the tenth of the price?

As this is my profession, I can make units look equally good, but then it has to be something I really need that can't be bought. I'm into such a project now, and for the first time in many years I'm going to make something major electronics for the house.
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)