High heat epoxy recommendation wanted

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ken1

High heat epoxy recommendation wanted

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, Can someone recommend an epoxy that will withstand high temperature and is not electrically conductive? I would like to use this to pour a casting for electrical use mounted on a gasoline engine.
MrAl

Re: High heat epoxy recommendation wanted

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

There is an epoxy called "JB Weld" that goes up to 600 degrees F. There is "JB Quik" but not as good, only about 300 deg F.
There is a silicone that goes up to 700 degrees F (the 'Copper' name). Not sure if you can use that or not.

There comes next a bunch of materials that go up to 2000 degree F, but they have to be baked.

For the engine, it depends where you intend to put the thing/device. If it is on the block it may work with the 600 degree F stuff, but if it is on the exhaust manifold you'll need the 2000 degree F stuff. Exhaust manifolds go as high as 1500 deg F but blocks dont get nearly that hot.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Kent.
Muffler sealers are available at car part stores, I had success in patching small holes with this product, did not fail :
http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-pr ... t%20Repair

As alternative, there is also Devcon brushable ceramic, search those terms.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The outside on an engine is hot but not all that hot compared to what industrial epoxies can handle

try the masterbond website for a selector guide. see the properties menu to sort by high temp

I expect you want a 2 part system and you don't care about the color and medium viscosity will suffice

There are other options too. 3M makes some nice molding compounds and mettalurgical suppliers like Buehler and Allied high tech sell a range of epoxies suitable for potting and cross sectioning that release well from molds and are generally temperature stable.

If you don't go with molding but want to make it out of plastics, check out professional plastics website for a wide range of sheet rod and bulk materials with properties characterized.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, I purchased some JB weld and tried it and it works perfectly! Thanks for all the recommendations!