Treadmill into potters wheel

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Johnm48

Treadmill into potters wheel

Post by Johnm48 »

I have often seen used treadmills at the curb as people get rid of them, for whatever reason, they decided to buy a real cloths rack. I can think of a myriad of useful applications for the DC motor & drives, one being a variable speed potters wheel. I have picked up a nice heavy duty treadmill with bells & whistle and a built in CD player. The only catch is the motor drive dose not work. There is power to it, and it responds to the input commands, but there is no output to the motor. I have found a burned component labeled ZD4 on the motor drive board circuit board. Having desolderd it I have the number BZV47C24 off the component. I have called around to the local electronics shops but have ben unable to locate a match to it. Dose any one have a lead to what the component is and where to locate it?
bridgen

Re: Treadmill into potters wheel

Post by bridgen »

It's a 24V 2W zener.
Drymmy

Post by Drymmy »

http://www.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet ... 47C24.html
Try this site for a full breakdown on this diode.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

But wouldn't a potters' "wheel" made from a treadmill only be good for making long "wall-shaped" objects no longer than the length of the belt unless you put a spiral to it?<p> :) <p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Huster:
But wouldn't a potters' "wheel" made from a treadmill only be good for making long "wall-shaped" objects no longer than the length of the belt unless you put a spiral to it?<p> :) <p>Dean<hr></blockquote>
I once made a treadmill out of a potter's wheel, but I got so dizzy I fell off.<p>Ron
Johnm48

Post by Johnm48 »

Thanks friends for the info,
Sorry for the long delay getting back, I posted the question then remembered I would be away on holiday for 5 days.
A question comes to mind regarding the zener. It failed due to heat, did it just fail or did something take it out? With a treadmill there will be some power generated when the runner exceeds the speed of the belt driving the motor into an generating state. Could this be a cause of failure for that zener
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

A zener failing due to heat is not because of a high ambient temperature but because of a secondary failure somewhere (possibly an open load?) that causes the zener to conduct more current than it should. I'd rule out faulty design (that's always a good idea, for you should normally assume that the design was good, the product was working perfectly for years and there is now a fault in the circuit) or else you may chase around the problem, fix the symptom and leave the fault.<p>Therefore, "something took it out". Whether or not it was belt overspeed that did the damage would depend upon the design of the circuit. Zeners tend to be used only as voltage references these days, letting other power electronics handle the higher current, so they don't fail often. Older and/or simpler designs may use higher-power zeners to actually handle the load.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

...but if treadmills are such common discardss... why not wait for another 'freebie' ?<p>I think it answers my small conveyor problem... in order to compost garden waste, it can lift the clippings 2-3 feet to the top of the pile... and I can shovel from the bottom (onto the belt) to turn the compost.
(now- to waterproof the electrical parts so I can leave it outdoors...)