Another substitution needed...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Another substitution needed...

Post by CeaSaR »

Looking at a circuit and it specifies a TL062. I do not have, nor can I put the
macro for it in my simulator. Is there a "LF" or "LT" series opamp that is a
close representation thereof? I am using CircuitMaker Student edition.

Thanks for any help provided.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Re: Another substitution needed...

Post by Janitor Tzap »

NTE cross shows NTE889M equivalent to the TL062.

Here's the PDF spec sheet.
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/800to899/pdf/nte889m.pdf

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanks JT.

The big problem I have is that the software I have is very limited in it's list of devices.
Here's what I have in the way of dual JFET input opamps:
LF353
LF412 (plus A & C variants)
LT1057 (and A & S variants)
There are other dual opamps, but these are the only JFETs. Will one of these work?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote:Thanks JT.

The big problem I have is that the software I have is very limited in it's list of devices.
Here's what I have in the way of dual JFET input opamps:
LF353
LF412 (plus A & C variants)
LT1057 (and A & S variants)
There are other dual opamps, but these are the only JFETs. Will one of these work?

CeaSaR
The LF353 is equivalent to an NTE858M.
Here's the PDF spec sheet on it.
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/800to899/pdf/nte858m.pdf

As for the other two.....
I'm having trouble locating a cross, or spec sheets.
I'll keep digging.

If this is for an audio circuit...
The LF353 should work, just compare the spec's between the two Op amps too make sure.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanks again.

I know the '353 is a real close match to the '082, with only 1 thing being slightly different.
The '062 is a tad different from the '082, so I'll just compare when I get some time later.
I can order the '062 from a number of places, but I wanted to sim the circuit first.

Again, thanks.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Caesar
What is your concern in the criticality of that particular Op-Amp. The circuit looks like a common garden variety tremolo. Why not any J-fet Op-Amp such as the TLO82?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Robert,

I want to run a sim on it and my software does not have the TL0** series in the
"parts bin" and I don't have any real way to add in a macro to model it/them. If it
performs/sims as advertised, I have no problem ordering the actual parts list. Heck,
Jameco has the TL062 at a price of 10/$2.50! It would be worth every miniscule penny
(Take that Canada! - Bob probably knows this reference).

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You'll have to decide what parameters are important and choose a model from your collection that is a best fit. Either that or get better student simulator software like MultiSim
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

haklesup wrote:You'll have to decide what parameters are important and choose a model from your collection that is a best fit. Either that or get better student simulator software like MultiSim
Like I said, I'll look at the datasheets and see what is closest. It'll probably end up
being the LF353 anyway. I just want to see round about what it does and how it works.

At some point I'm going to have to upgrade. I just hate having to import and tweak
existing projects into new software. Usually, things get lost in translation. That and
the learning curve puts me off. Ah well, gotta jump in sometime, right?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

CeaSaR wrote:Robert,

I want to run a sim on it and my software does not have the TL0** series in the
"parts bin" and I don't have any real way to add in a macro to model it/them. If it
performs/sims as advertised, I have no problem ordering the actual parts list. Heck,
Jameco has the TL062 at a price of 10/$2.50!
All those op-amps have a standard pin-out. For example, if you need a LF347 quad op-amp, you can substitute LM348, TL054, TL074, or TL084, LMC660. In most cases even a LM324 bipolar quad and its ilk should work. There are more, but I'd have to look up the exact mumbers for Motorola and the RCA CA series. There are only small differences in specifications like millivolts of input offset voltage, noise figures and input or output rail-to-rail capability - stuff a beginning experimenter doesn't need to be concerned about. (except maybe low power supply voltage capability) If you need to, you can always find out what the small differences are by reading the data sheets.

They're all limited to about +/-20mA output and they all roll-off around 3MHz.

An LF353 - TL052, TL072, TL082. I didn't mention the TL062 because it must be rare compared with the others. I've never seen a schematic with a TL06*.

This reminds me of the OLDEN days. You could substitute a 6F6 power pentode tube with a 6G6, 6V6, a bigger 6L6, just about any 6*6 except a 6H6 (different animal, a dual diode detector).
It would be worth every miniscule penny
(Take that Canada! - Bob probably knows this reference).
CeaSaR
hehe.. Canada's mint has just stopped making pennies....Just not worth it anymore due to decades of inflation and metal prices.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Bob Scott wrote: An LF353 - TL052, TL072, TL082. I didn't mention the TL062 because it must be rare compared with the others. I've never seen a schematic with a TL06*.
If you look through the RedCircuits website, you'll see several schematics there with
the TL06* chips. I haven't really seen others outside of there either, although, as you
said, the TL05*, TL07* and TL08* chip schematics are much more plentiful. Must have
been the b*st*rd stepchild of the bunch.

As for the differences, I just wanted to make sure that what I chose to substitute would
be close in overall characteristics to make the sim a valid one, that's all.

And the tubes, I have someone who would like to get into that type of thing, so... that
is down the road, probably a couple of years time yet. Way too much to get done here
before delving into another project like that!

CeaSaR
Notice traffic/postings on the
board picked up? My intent, exactly.
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

using for example the search tool on Digikey, you can plug in most of the parameters from the TLO62 datasheet and see what comes up in the parameter search.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Well, yeah, I can do that, but I am going to end up just comparing the few datasheets
I need as the few specific chips are all that need to be compared and go from there
(once I can break away from other duties). Besides, this brought out most everyone for
a "breath of air" during this kind of lean time on the board. Good to hear from everyone!

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?