TV/Sat remote control repair? REPAIRED!!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

TV/Sat remote control repair? REPAIRED!!

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

My RCA/Dish remote control seems to wear out the gray coating on the inside of the pushbuttons. I have 4 of them and each has a function that works intermittently or not at all. It seems the #1 button gets used the most and eventually has to be wiggled around to work.

Is there a product I can purchase to re-coat the contact area on the rubber? It just seems like a big waste to keep replacing the whole remote.

Thanks for looking and any advice is greatly appreciated.
cNd
dacflyer

Re: TV/Sat remote control repair?

Post by dacflyer »

your probably cheaper off to replace the remote.
there is a kit that redoes the buttons, but its not cheap.
last one i bought cost over 25.00 and once the stuff is mixed, you have to use it all or it goes bad fast.

you can google " rubber keypad contact repair kit "

or use this google link and choose a site -----> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=2 ... 24&bih=638

good luck
cheapNdisgusting

Thanks dacflyer.
cNd
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hi guys,

We have discussed this problem before here in this forum.
And I don't think a permanent solution was ever found.
But we had identified several of the causes. :roll:

But, like Dacflyer said:
your probably cheaper off to replace the remote.
there is a kit that redoes the buttons, but its not cheap.
last one i bought cost over 25.00 and once the stuff is mixed, you have to use it all or it goes bad fast.
I've used these kits too, but the results of the repair varied.
Some repairs only lasted a few months, and the problem came back.
While others a year or two.

If as you say, still have the old remotes.
Take the worst one, and try simply cleaning the Rubber Carbon Pad.
As well, as the Carbon Contacts on the PCB with Hot Water and a Tooth Brush.
Then dry off both parts good with a paper towel, leaving no water on either part.
Then leave them too dry over night.
Now look at both pieces, shake them too see if there is any water still there on them.
If there is, use a paper towel to dab up any droplets.
Then let it air dry for another 12 hours, or till your sure both parts are completely dry.

Now reassemble the remote and try it.
If your lucky....
It will work and you can get a couple months out of it,
before the buttons start getting gummed up again.

Good luck with it!

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Janitor Tzap,

The threads you are referring to can be found by putting "remote control sticking"
in the search box. They chronicle the search for a "cure" of the problem by MrAl.

cheapNdisgusting,

You should be able to find some help in those threads.

What I did with an old remote that had worn carbon pads was to superglue a small
disc of tinfoil to the pad. Worked for a long time like that.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I don't suppose any of those remotes are new enough you can push them back onto Dish under warranty.

In any case, from that old thread, it seemed like the most practical solution was to periodically clean the contact area either by dry buffing or isopropanol wipedown. I'm not convinced that will always work and it appears to be a temporary fix anyway

However to continue that discussion, do make some observations for contamination before doing so and let us know if it worked.

Since you keep going through that style remote, look for a better quality universal remote with sufficient compatibility WRT button placement. I'm not sure if Dish offers web control of your box but at least for Comcast, I know several people who have switched to WiFi enabled Android tablets or even smart phones for TV control. It's a much richer tool.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote:Janitor Tzap,

The threads you are referring to can be found by putting "remote control sticking"
in the search box. They chronicle the search for a "cure" of the problem by MrAl.

cheapNdisgusting,

You should be able to find some help in those threads.

What I did with an old remote that had worn carbon pads was to superglue a small
disc of tinfoil to the pad. Worked for a long time like that.

CeaSaR
Hail CeaSar!

I've done the tinfoil trick as well.
But getting the tinfoil too stay adhered to the rubber button for any length of time.
Was nearly impossible, especially if the button was one that got used a lot. :lol:

Thou.....
The remote you tried it on, did the PCB have Carbon Contact traces?
Or just Copper, or Silver Plated Contact traces?
The reason being that the Copper, and or Silver Plated Contact traces on the PCB
will tarnish over time, stopping the button from conducting.

cheapNdisgusting

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Now I've got several things to try. I will report back on what worked and ? The pad has a carbon base stuff on it. Thanks again.
cNd
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

for the tin foil trick to work all you need is a sufficient gap. I don't think the material on the contacts would matter. Worse case its oversensitive or just plain stuck down.

What kind of adhesive was used? plain old contact cement?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

haklesup wrote:What kind of adhesive was used? plain old contact cement?
No,
Like CeaSar said Superglue.

When the tin foil would become detached from the rubber button,
it would short, or as you say "Stuck down" the button.

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

IIRC, they were PCB contacts. Can't recall if they were copper or tinned.
Superglue held for a couple of years, I believe. That was 3 or 4 tv's ago.
Cleaned everything with an eraser (standard #2 pencil eraser), even the
carbon button, took a small piece of foil, pressed it against the pad to get
the size and cut it out. Only needed a hint of glue. When dry, I cleaned
that with the eraser and reassembled the whole shebang. Worked like a
charm for me.

I only had to redo that button one more time, but it was easy as the foil
disc was still in the remote. Cleaned, re-glued and reassembled, done.
Then the TV died. Just my luck.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
cheapNdisgusting

Re: TV/Sat remote control repair? REPAIRED!!

At my local electronics store I bought a product called "CaiKote 44" for $9.95. It was easy to used and is good for 1 year after opening. There is plenty in it to do several remotes. It works good.

Thanks for the help and advice.
cNd
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

My new AV receiver although equipped with its own remote also has wired ethernet and WiFi options to connect it to a home network. Once that is done, one can use an iOS or Android mobile device (phone, iPod or tablet or notebook or desktop) and with a downloaded app, control all the features of the receiver. Likewise I can control most of the features of my Cable box including a program guide that is far better than the on that you get on screen of the TV (including on remote previews). Furthermore, TVs are coming out now with ethernet connectivity (though I don't know if they offer remote control features or just streaming and web browser access)

My point is, within 2 years, the common IR remote control per device may become obsolete and replaced by apps on mobile devices (for those early adopters, the rest of us will gradually upgrade over a decade or more) along with all the benefits of a interactive GUI instead of a static array of buttons. Then we will have to worry if we have the latest remote control app or not. At least this will give new life to (by then) old mobile devices as couch bound remote controls. Waiting for the remote control to boot up before you can turn on the TV might be a bit of a drag though (theres something to be said of single purpose devices like IR remotes)
WMc

Post by WMc »

I'm a newbie here...But take a look at this...
'
forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?89830-SIRC-commandsCached
'
I hope it's helpful!
__Walt McDonald__

It's not rocket-surgery
I see why we don't have any water,All of the pipes are full of wires!
E=WMc2
Now with WiFi

ABB M202 certified
ABB M211 certified
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

haklesup wrote:...My point is, within 2 years, the common IR remote control per device may become obsolete and replaced by apps on mobile devices (for those early adopters, the rest of us will gradually upgrade over a decade or more) along with all the benefits of a interactive GUI instead of a static array of buttons. Then we will have to worry if we have the latest remote control app or not. At least this will give new life to (by then) old mobile devices as couch bound remote controls. Waiting for the remote control to boot up before you can turn on the TV might be a bit of a drag though (theres something to be said of single purpose devices like IR remotes)
Which would pi55 off people such as myself who could are less about those mobile devices.
I feel that if you are going to include remote control for your product, you had better make
sure I don't have to keep paying for it in ANY form (except batteries). That kind of baloney
is what is making the younger generation oblivious to the money making schemes of "Big Corp".
If a manufacturer makes something that I have to:
A.) Buy a mobile device
B.) Pay for a mobile data plan
C.) Keep upgrading the app and mobile device every so often to stay compatible
Then I will stay away from whatever it is. Why would I buy something and then have to pay
$200 extra and then a minimum of $50 a month after that for something that previously came
"free". And the way designs are now-a-days, you have to use the remote because there aren't
any user controls on the dang original product anyway. Whatever happened to the self-contained
gadget? I know of people who would search for 10 minutes for the remote instead of taking the
2 seconds it takes to walk to the TV (or cable box, etc.) and switch the channel. Just sad...
/rant off

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?