Intermittent television problems

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
edm_1968

Intermittent television problems

Post by edm_1968 »

The problem that I'm having is when I try to turn it on sometimes it will, other times it won't. It has a red standby LED that turns green when the tv is on. When I try to turn it on the LED does turn green long enough for me to see it, then turns off. It also makes the normal clicking noise the first time, if I try it within a second or two afterwards it doesn't. But if I wait 10 seconds it makes the clicking noise again. The first time it happened I cycled power for about 5 minutes with no change. This morning I tried it again and it worked, I left it on for an hour or so and all was well. When I came home tonight I tried it and it powered on OK again, but I was just testing it. 2 hours later and I'm getting the same problem. I've tried this with remote and the pushbutton on the tv.

It's a 32" LCD brand Emprex if that helps. I've had this tv for 3 or 4 years and it has given me other problems that I've worked around.

I did notice that it has dust accumulated around the vent fins on top and was thinking about taking the cover apart if I can to clean it out but have heard about dangerous voltages inside a tv even after being shut off. Not sure if this is for older style tv or newer or both?
dacflyer

Re: Intermittent television problems

Post by dacflyer »

sounds like you either have some cold solider joints or bad caps, that are not letting the set start up.
as for cleaning the dust out..
unplug the tv. let it sit for about 15 min. remove all the screws that hold the back on..
make sure to check that all screws are out before yanking the back off of it.
then if you can take a air hose to it.. blast it clean.
most of all the high voltage will be bled off of the board, also the pix tube.
if you have any electronic exp. look under the board good and see if you see any bad solider joints. and or heat toasted areas, usually around power resistors.check for bad caps also.
good luck.
edm_1968

Post by edm_1968 »

Thanks for the advice,
I'm going to try to take it apart next weekend.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

start by verifying the power supply operation with the load disconnected. It sounds like the supply is shutting down early but that can be a failed supply or a failed load on the supply.